Primary gonadal damage following treatment of brain tumors in childhood.
AffiliationDepartments of Endocrinology, Paediatric Oncology and Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGonadal function was studied in two groups of children previously treated for medulloblastoma with surgery followed by postoperative craniospinal irradiation. In group 1 but not in group 2, the children also received adjuvant chemotherapy for one to two years. All children in group 1 received a nitrosourea (BCNU or CCNU), plus vincristine in four and procarbazine in three patients. The nine children in group 1 showed clinical and biochemical evidence of gonadal damage with elevated serum FSH concentrations and, in the boys, small testes for their stage of pubertal development. In group 2 (n = 8), each child had completed pubertal development normally, the boys had adult sized testes and the girls regular menses. Gonadotropin values were normal in all eight children. We conclude that nitrosoureas were responsible for the gonadal damage in the children in group 1, with procarbazine also contributing to the damage in the three children who received this drug. In view of the limited proved value of adjuvant chemotherapy with nitrosoureas in the treatment of medulloblastoma, recognition of this serious complication of cytotoxic drug therapy may necessitate reassessing in which subgroups of children with medulloblastoma the benefits of adjuvant chemotherapy outweight the complications.
CitationPrimary gonadal damage following treatment of brain tumors in childhood. 1983, 103 (4):562-5 J Pediatr
JournalJournal of Pediatrics
- Outcome for children with medulloblastoma treated with radiation and cisplatin, CCNU, and vincristine chemotherapy.
- Authors: Packer RJ, Sutton LN, Elterman R, Lange B, Goldwein J, Nicholson HS, Mulne L, Boyett J, D'Angio G, Wechsler-Jentzsch K
- Issue date: 1994 Nov
- Gonadal function after bone marrow transplantation for acute leukemia during childhood.
- Authors: Sarafoglou K, Boulad F, Gillio A, Sklar C
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Medulloblastoma: clinical and biologic aspects.
- Authors: Packer RJ, Cogen P, Vezina G, Rorke LB
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Treatment of children with medulloblastomas with reduced-dose craniospinal radiation therapy and adjuvant chemotherapy: A Children's Cancer Group Study.
- Authors: Packer RJ, Goldwein J, Nicholson HS, Vezina LG, Allen JC, Ris MD, Muraszko K, Rorke LB, Wara WM, Cohen BH, Boyett JM
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- [Craniospinal radiotherapy in combined therapy of medulloblastoma in children and adolescents].
- Authors: Golubicić I, Bokun J, Nikitović M, Mladenović J, Sarić M, Bekić Z
- Issue date: 2003 May-Jun