AffiliationRegional Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe specification of a radiotherapy generator calls for the leakage radiation through the housing of the source to be 0.1% (the ICRP has recently (1982) changed this figure to 0.2% of the dose rate inside the useful beam). When a patient is irradiated, the dose level outside the useful beam is not only determined by this leakage radiation, but also by scattered radiation from the beam-defining system and from the treatment volume of the patient. Measurements have been made on a 300 kV X-ray unit, and on two different 4 MV and one 8 MV linear accelerators to determine the levels of leakage radiation and scattered radiation in air, and in a phantom comparable in size to the trunk of the patient. Similar measurements have also been made for a 15 MeV neutron generator. It is shown that for all these generators the dose delivered outside the radiation beam is determined mainly by the two scattering processes mentioned, and it is argued that for linear accelerators it would be feasible to increase the permitted level of leakage radiation by a factor of 2 or 3 without a significant increase in the stray radiation delivered to the patient.
CitationDose levels outside radiotherapy beams. 1983, 56 (668):543-50 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- Depth dose-equivalent and effective energies of photoneutrons generated by 6-18 MV X-ray beams for radiotherapy.
- Authors: d'Errico F, Luszik-Bhadra M, Nath R, Siebert BR, Wolf U
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- Measurements of the neutron dose equivalent for various radiation qualities, treatment machines and delivery techniques in radiation therapy.
- Authors: Hälg RA, Besserer J, Boschung M, Mayer S, Lomax AJ, Schneider U
- Issue date: 2014 May 21
- Characterization of the secondary neutron field produced during treatment of an anthropomorphic phantom with x-rays, protons and carbon ions.
- Authors: Tessa CL, Berger T, Kaderka R, Schardt D, Burmeister S, Labrenz J, Reitz G, Durante M
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 21
- Unwanted radiation produced by leakage neutrons from medical electron accelerators.
- Authors: Ing H, Shore RA
- Issue date: 1982 Jan-Feb
- Neutron leakage measurements from a medical linear accelerator.
- Authors: Palta JR, Hogstrom KR, Tannanonta C
- Issue date: 1984 Jul-Aug