AffiliationRegional Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe cost of delivering a radiotherapy treatment on a linear accelerator is calculated. Items included in the cost are: cost of the accelerator itself, a simulator, a treatment planning computer, the treatment room, and the salaries of the radiographers and physicists concerned, as well as machine operating costs and interest charges. The cost of a beam direction shell is also calculated. The different costs are reduced to statements of cost per year (see Table IV for summary), and from these the cost of a course of treatment for a patient is arrived at on the basis of 800 patients treated per year. The cost comes out at pounds 137, plus pounds 70 for a beam direction shell, if one is used. Because the capital costs of radiotherapy treatment equipment are very substantial, it is often assumed that radiotherapy is a very expensive form of treatment. An analysis of treatment cost is presented, initially in terms of cost per year for equipment, special buildings, and staff at 1981 prices. Reduction of these figures to mean treatment cost per patient is based on the DHSS guideline for provision of radiotherapy services (HC(78)32), which suggests a figure of 800 patients to be treated per year as the number justifying the provision of a linear accelerator.
CitationThe cost of radiotherapy treatments on a linear accelerator. 1983, 56 (663):189-91 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- The cost of radiotherapy treatments on a linear accelerator.
- Authors: Atherton L
- Issue date: 1984 Jan
- [Management of electron accelerators for radiotherapy. Data as of 31 December 1984].
- Authors: Novario R, Conte L, Cassani E, Bertoni F, Marchetti G, Perno G, Giuliani G, Maifredi PG, Magri S, De Micheli G
- Issue date: 1987 Jan-Feb
- The cost of the district hospital: a case study in Malawi.
- Authors: Mills AJ, Kapalamula J, Chisimbi S
- Issue date: 1993
- The cost of radiation treatment at an Ontario regional cancer centre.
- Authors: Wodinsky HB, Jenkin RD
- Issue date: 1987 Nov 15
- A 'Catch Up' Plan for radiotherapy in New South Wales to 2012.
- Authors: Morgan G, Barton M, Crossing S, Bull C, Penman A
- Issue date: 2009 Aug