Quantitation of angiogenesis factor in bovine retina and tumour extracts by means of radioimmunoassay.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing an antiserum raised against tumour angiogenesis factor (TAF) we have developed a radioimmunoassay for retina and tumour angiogenesis factor(s). This antiserum was previously shown to bind to both human and animal tumour extracts and to inhibit the angiogenesis induced by TAF in vivo. TAF from rat Walker tumour was used for iodination by the chloramine-T method. An excess of 125I-labelled TAF was incubated with TAF antibody in the absence (maximum binding) and presence (inhibition of maximum binding) of unlabelled tissue extract. A double antibody technique was used to separate free and bound TAF. Unlabelled human Wilms tumour TAF was used as a standard. The extent of inhibition of 125I-TAF-anti-TAF binding provided a measure of TAF in tissue extracts examined. Extracts of normal bovine retina, cornea, lung, aorta, lymph nodes, iris, vitreous humour, and human tumours and normal human pituitary and liver were assayed. Only bovine retina and human tumours were found to contain angiogenesis factor. These findings, together with our earlier results, suggest that angiogenesis factor from both bovine retina and human tumours induce angiogenesis in vivo and possess common antigenic determinants. The presence of angiogenesis factor in healthy retina and its relationship to neovascularisation in clinical conditions is discussed.
CitationQuantitation of angiogenesis factor in bovine retina and tumour extracts by means of radioimmunoassay. 1983, 67 (5):286-91 Br J Ophthalmol
JournalBritish Journal of Ophthalmology
- Quantitation of extracts containing tumour angiogenesis factor (TAF) by radioimmunometric and radioimmunoassays.
- Authors: Schor AM, Kumar S, Phillips PJ
- Issue date: 1980 Jun 15
- A study of angiogenesis factors from five different sources using a radioimmunoassay.
- Authors: Shahabuddin S, Kumar S, West D, Arnold F
- Issue date: 1985 Jan 15
- Tumour angiogenesis factor in urological cancers.
- Authors: Shahabuddin S, Arnold F, Costello CB, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1984 Oct
- Tumour angiogenesis factor (TAF) in human and animal tumours.
- Authors: Phillips P, Steward JK, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1976 May 15
- Tumour angiogenesis factor (TAF) and its neutralisation by a xenogeneic antiserum.
- Authors: Phillips P, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1979 Jan 15