Specific association of iduronic acid-rich dermatan sulphate with the extracellular matrix of human skin fibroblasts cultured on collagen gels.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, University of Manchester Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Wilmslow Rd, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman skin fibroblasts cultured on collagen gels produced two dermatan sulphate species, one, enriched in iduronic acid residues, that bound specifically to the collagenous fibres of the gel, the other, enriched in glucuronic acid, that accumulated in the culture medium. Collagen-binding and collagen-non-binding dermatan sulphates were also produced by cells grown on plastic surfaces, but in these cultures each constituent was released into the growth medium. Net synthesis of dermatan sulphate was 3-fold higher in cells maintained on collagen gels. In contrast, heparan sulphate synthesis was not influenced by the nature of the culture surface. The concentration of heparan sulphate in surface-membrane extracts was similar for cells grown on plastic and on collagen gels, but cells cultured on collagen showed a notable increase in the content of surface-membrane dermatan sulphate. The patterns of synthesis and distribution of sulphated glycosaminoglycans observed in skin fibroblasts maintained on collagen gels may reflect differentiated cellular functions.
CitationSpecific association of iduronic acid-rich dermatan sulphate with the extracellular matrix of human skin fibroblasts cultured on collagen gels. 1983, 215 (1):107-16 Biochem J
- Synthesis of glycosaminoglycans by human skin fibroblasts cultured on collagen gels.
- Authors: Gallagher JT, Gasiunas N, Schor SL
- Issue date: 1980 Aug 15
- The copolymeric structure of dermatan sulphate produced by cultured human fibroblasts. Different distribution of iduronic acid and glucuronic acid-containing units in soluble and cell-associated glycans.
- Authors: Malström A, Carlstedt I, Aberg L, Fransson LA
- Issue date: 1975 Dec
- 1H-n.m.r. investigation of naturally occurring and chemically oversulphated dermatan sulphates. Identification of minor monosaccharide residues.
- Authors: Bossennec V, Petitou M, Perly B
- Issue date: 1990 May 1
- Synthesis of glycosaminoglycans by human embryonic lung fibroblasts. Different distribution of heparan sulphate, chondroitin sulphate and dermatan sulphate in various fractions of cell culture.
- Authors: Sjöberg I, Fransson LA
- Issue date: 1977 Nov 1
- The co-polymeric structure of pig skin dermatan sulphate. Distribution of L-iduronic acid sulphate residues in co-polymeric chains.
- Authors: Cöster L, Malmström A, Sjöberg I, Fransson L
- Issue date: 1975 Feb