Topographic variations in the clonogenic response of intestinal crypts to cytotoxic treatments.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories and Department of Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the intestinal crypt microcolony assay, a "surviving fraction" of whole crypts is calculated conventionally by dividing the number of regenerating crypts three to four days after treatment by the number of crypts in untreated animals, both measured around a complete intestinal circumference in transverse sections of gut. We show that in relation to the mesenteric attachment of the gut, crypts in different regions of this circumference differ in their survival characteristics after radiation or mechlorethamine hydrochloride ("HN2"). Crypts associated with Peyer's patches are resistant to both agents (large initial shoulder, shallow slope). The mode of administration of HN2 (IP vs. IV) influences the shape of the crypt survival curve. Differences in size of shoulder and slope affect the estimate of numbers of microcolony-forming cells per crypt (A). For radiation, this number can vary sevenfold, depending on the region of circumference chosen for analysis. Different agents of assay result in radically different values for A.
CitationTopographic variations in the clonogenic response of intestinal crypts to cytotoxic treatments. 1983, 56 (663):193-9 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- 1-(4-nitrobenzenesulfonyl)-4-penylpiperazine increases the number of Peyer's patch-associated regenerating crypts in the small intestines after radiation injury.
- Authors: Bhat K, Duhachek-Muggy S, Ramanathan R, Saki M, Alli C, Medina P, Damoiseaux R, Whitelegge J, McBride WH, Schaue D, Vlashi E, Pajonk F
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- In vivo changes in the intestinal lipid peroxidation and the crypt response to whole-body gamma irradiation in diethylnitrosamine-treated mice.
- Authors: Grudziński IP
- Issue date: 2002
- [Radiobiological aspects of increased radioresistance of murine epithelial stem cells from patches of Peyer].
- Authors: Konopliannikova OA, Konopliannikov AG, Vacek A
- Issue date: 1994 Jul-Oct
- Enhancement of murine intestinal stem cell survival after irradiation by keratinocyte growth factor.
- Authors: Khan WB, Shui C, Ning S, Knox SJ
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Changes in clonogen number and radiation sensitivity in mouse jejunal crypts after treatment with dimethylsulfoxide and retinoic acid.
- Authors: Ruifrok AC, Mason KA, Thames HD
- Issue date: 1996 Jun