Enhancement of computed tomographic scanner based digital radiographic images.
AuthorsMott, David J
AffiliationRegional Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractScanned digital radiographs are one of the imaging facilities available on the EMI 7070 scanner. The images offered by the system were found to be clinically poor and the reason for this was that the round shape of the patient was forming the major component of the image. Two empirical methods to account effectively for patient shape have been investigated and are now in clinical use. The first method assumes that the patient shape is approximated to a second-order polynomial of the picture element position. For each line of the image a second-order polynomial function is fitted to the image data, then removed from the image data. The second method involves using the existing CT wedge as an average compensation wedge to remove the majority of the effect of the patient shape. The relative merits and clinical application of both techniques are discussed.
CitationEnhancement of computed tomographic scanner based digital radiographic images. 1983, 56 (667):453-60 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- Three-dimensional localisation based on projectional and tomographic image correlation: an application for digital tomosynthesis.
- Authors: Messaris G, Kolitsi Z, Badea C, Pallikarakis N
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Spatial resolution analysis of computed tomographic images.
- Authors: Assimakopoulos PA, Boyd DP, Jaschke W, Lipton MJ
- Issue date: 1986 Mar
- Contrast resolution of line-scanned digital radiography.
- Authors: Sommer FG, Brody WR
- Issue date: 1982 Apr
- Enhanced visualization methods for computed radiography images.
- Authors: Bonciu C, Rezaee MR, Edwards W
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Development of a high-resolution digital tomosynthesis system and its clinical application.
- Authors: Sone S, Kasuga T, Sakai F, Aoki J, Izuno I, Tanizaki Y, Shigeta H, Shibata K
- Issue date: 1991 Sep