Epithelioid haemangioma: a rare cause of painful erections and sleep deprivation.
Shanks, Jonathan H
AffiliationDepartment of Urology, Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Merseyside, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEpithelioid haemangioma of the penis is a rare condition which usually presents a solid single nodule. We report a case in a 43-year-old man who presented with painful erections and sleep disturbance with two palpable penile nodules. Magnetic resonance imaging with an artificially induced erection revealed these as individual lesions, and local excision was successfully undertaken. Pathological diagnosis of epithelioid haemangioma was confirmed with positive staining for CD31. Although rare, penile epithelioid haemangioma should be considered as a differential in an atypical penile mass. Induction in of an artificial erection prior to MRI can aid diagnosis and treatment is typically with surgical excision.
CitationEpithelioid haemangioma: a rare cause of painful erections and sleep deprivation. 2014, 46 (9):1747-50 Int Urol Nephrol
JournalInternational Urology and Nephrology
- Painful erections secondary to rare epithelioid hemangioma of the penis.
- Authors: Barber E, Domes T
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Rare case of atypical epitelioid hemangioma of penis initially misdiagnosed as Peyronie's disease: report with clinical, radiologic, and immunohistochemical analysis.
- Authors: Natali A, Nesi G, Vittori G, Minervini A, Franchi A, Agostini S, Carini M, Menghetti I
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Multifocal penile epithelioid hemangioendothelioma masquerading as superficial penile vein thrombosis.
- Authors: Gharajeh A, Siemens DR, Isotalo PA, Nascimento AG, Borth CS
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Sleep-Related Painful Erections: A Meta-Analysis on the Pathophysiology and Risks and Benefits of Medical Treatments.
- Authors: Vreugdenhil S, Weidenaar AC, de Jong IJ, van Driel MF
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Penile venous haemangioma.
- Authors: Hemal AK, Goswami AK, Sharma SK, Radotra BD, Malik N
- Issue date: 1989 Oct