Segregation of late outgrowth endothelial cells into functional endothelial CD34- and progenitor-like CD34+ cell populations.
AffiliationInstitute of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, The University of Manchester, Paterson Building, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLate outgrowth endothelial cells (OECs) that originate from peripheral blood mononuclear cells ex vivo have phenotypic and functional properties of mature endothelial cells. Given the potential therapeutic applications of OECs, understanding their biology is crucial. We have identified two distinct OEC populations based on differential expression of the cell surface marker CD34. OEC colonies lacked CD34 expression (CD34-), expressed CD34 in the majority of cells (CD34+), or showed a mixed expression pattern within a colony (CD34+/-). CD34+ and CD34- OECs were negative for hematopoietic cell marker CD45 and expressed the endothelial cell surface markers CD31, CD146, CD105, and VEGFR-2. Functionally CD34- and CD34+ OECs exhibited strikingly distinct behaviors. CD34- OECs, unlike CD34+ OECs, were capable of sprouting, formed tubes, and responded to angiogenic growth factors in vitro. In vivo, CD34- OECs formed endothelial tubes, while CD34+ OECs, despite being unable to form tubes, promoted infiltration of murine vasculature. Global gene expression profiling in CD34- and CD34+ OECs identified functional importance of the MMP-1/PAR-1 pathway in CD34- OECs. MMP-1 stimulated the expression of VEGFR-2, neuropilin-1, neuropilin-2, and CXCR4 and activated ERK1/2, whereas down-regulation of PAR-1 in CD34- OECs resulted in impaired angiogenic responses in vitro and reduced VEGFR-2 levels. In contrast, the CD34+ OEC colonies expressed high levels of the progenitor cell marker ALDH, which was absent in CD34- OECs. In summary, we show that OECs can be classified into functionally mature endothelial cells (CD34- OECs) that depend on the MMP-1/PAR-1 pathway and progenitor-like angiogenesis-promoting cells (CD34+ OECs).
CitationSegregation of late outgrowth endothelial cells into functional endothelial CD34- and progenitor-like CD34+ cell populations. 2014: Angiogenesis
- Purification and Functional Characterization of CD34-Expressing Cell Subsets Following Ex Vivo Expansion of Umbilical Cord Blood-Derived Endothelial Colony-Forming Cells.
- Authors: Sherman SE, Kuljanin M, Cooper TT, Lajoie GA, Hess DA
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Comparative Anti-Platelet Profiling Reveals a Potent Anti-Aggregatory Effect of CD34+ Progenitor Cell-Derived Late-Outgrowth Endothelial Cells in vitro.
- Authors: Chantzichristos VG, Gkrozou F, Stellos K, Paschopoulos ME, Tselepis AD
- Issue date: 2018
- Circulating CD34+ progenitor cells modulate host angiogenesis and inflammation in vivo.
- Authors: Popa ER, Harmsen MC, Tio RA, van der Strate BW, Brouwer LA, Schipper M, Koerts J, De Jongste MJ, Hazenberg A, Hendriks M, van Luyn MJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- CD34+ VEGFR-3+ progenitor cells have a potential to differentiate towards lymphatic endothelial cells.
- Authors: Tan YZ, Wang HJ, Zhang MH, Quan Z, Li T, He QZ
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Presence of endothelial progenitor cells, distinct from mature endothelial cells, within human CD146+ blood cells.
- Authors: Delorme B, Basire A, Gentile C, Sabatier F, Monsonis F, Desouches C, Blot-Chabaud M, Uzan G, Sampol J, Dignat-George F
- Issue date: 2005 Dec