No longer an untreatable disease: How targeted and immunotherapies have changed the management of melanoma patients.
AffiliationMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe discovery that BRAF is a driver oncogene in cancer, and complementary improvements in our understanding of the immune system have resulted in new targeted and immune-therapies for metastatic melanoma. Targeted therapies achieve impressive clinical results in carefully selected patients but the development of resistance seems inevitable in most cases. Conversely, immune-checkpoints inhibitors can achieve long-term remission and cures, but in a smaller proportion of patients, and biomarkers to predict which patients will respond are not available. Nevertheless, melanoma has led the evolution of cancer treatment from relatively nonspecific cytotoxic agents to highly selective therapies and here we review the lessons from this paradigm shift in treatment and the opportunities for further improvements in outcomes for melanoma patients.
CitationNo longer an untreatable disease: How targeted and immunotherapies have changed the management of melanoma patients. 2014, 8 (6):1140-1158 Mol Oncol
- Immune Responses to BRAF-Targeted Therapy in Melanoma: Is Targeted Therapy Immunotherapy?
- Authors: Kelley MC
- Issue date: 2016
- Survival of melanoma patients treated with targeted therapy and immunotherapy after systematic upfront control of brain metastases by radiosurgery.
- Authors: Gaudy-Marqueste C, Dussouil AS, Carron R, Troin L, Malissen N, Loundou A, Monestier S, Mallet S, Richard MA, Régis JM, Grob JJ
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- A new era in the treatment of melanoma: from biology to clinical practice.
- Authors: Márquez-Rodas I, Martín Algarra S, Avilés Izquierdo JA, Custodio Cabello S, Martín M
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Current status and future directions of molecularly targeted therapies and immunotherapies for melanoma.
- Authors: Miller DM, Flaherty KT, Tsao H
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- [Targeted therapies for melanoma].
- Authors: Leiter U, Meier F, Garbe C
- Issue date: 2014 Jul