Serial surveillance of carcinoid heart disease: factors associated with echocardiographic progression and mortality.
Valle, Juan W
Affiliation1] Neuroendocrine Tumour Group, University Hospital Aintree, Lower Lane, Liverpool L9 7AL, UK  Department of Obesity & Endocrinology, University of Liverpool, University Hospital Aintree, Lower Lane, Liverpool L9 7AL, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground:Carcinoid heart disease is a complication of metastatic neuroendocrine tumours (NETs). We sought to identify factors associated with echocardiographic progression of carcinoid heart disease and death in patients with metastatic NETs.Methods:Patients with advanced non-pancreatic NETs and documented liver metastases and/or carcinoid syndrome underwent prospective serial clinical, biochemical, echocardiographic and radiological assessment. Patients were categorised as carcinoid heart disease progressors, non-progressors or deceased. Multinomial regression was used to assess the univariate association between variables and carcinoid heart disease progression.Results:One hundred and thirty-seven patients were included. Thirteen patients (9%) were progressors, 95 (69%) non-progressors and 29 (21%) patients deceased. Baseline median levels of serum N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) and plasma 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) were significantly higher in the progressors. Every 100 nmol l(-1) increase in 5-HIAA yielded a 5% greater odds of disease progression (OR 1.05, 95% CI: 1.01, 1.09; P=0.012) and a 7% greater odds of death (OR 1.07, 95% CI: 1.03, 1.10; P=0.001). A 100 ng l(-1) increase in NT-proBNP did not increase the risk of progression, but did increase the risk of death by 11%.Conclusions:The biochemical burden of disease, in particular baseline plasma 5-HIAA concentration, is independently associated with carcinoid heart disease progression and death. Clinical and radiological factors are less useful prognostic indicators of carcinoid heart disease progression and/or death.British Journal of Cancer advance online publication, 11 September 2014; doi:10.1038/bjc.2014.468 www.bjcancer.com.
CitationSerial surveillance of carcinoid heart disease: factors associated with echocardiographic progression and mortality. 2014: Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Determination of the optimal echocardiographic scoring system to quantify carcinoid heart disease.
- Authors: Dobson R, Cuthbertson DJ, Jones J, Valle JW, Keevil B, Chadwick C, Poston GP, Burgess MI
- Issue date: 2014
- Variation in Cardiac Screening and Management of Carcinoid Heart Disease in the UK and Republic of Ireland.
- Authors: Dobson R, Valle JW, Burgess MI, Poston GJ, Cuthbertson DJ
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Risk factors for the development and progression of carcinoid heart disease.
- Authors: Bhattacharyya S, Toumpanakis C, Chilkunda D, Caplin ME, Davar J
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 15
- Cardiovascular abnormalities in patients with a carcinoid syndrome.
- Authors: Meijer WC, van Veldhuisen DJ, Kema IP, Van den Berg MP, Boomsma F, Willemse PH, De Vries EG
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- The association of a panel of biomarkers with the presence and severity of carcinoid heart disease: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Dobson R, Burgess MI, Banks M, Pritchard DM, Vora J, Valle JW, Wong C, Chadwick C, George K, Keevil B, Adaway J, Ardill JE, Anthoney A, Hofmann U, Poston GJ, Cuthbertson DJ
- Issue date: 2013