AffiliationInstitute of Population Health, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiabetes and cancer are common chronic disorders. The literature has long recognised that type 2 diabetes (T2D) is associated with an increased incident risk of several cancer types, independent of the mutual risk factor, obesity. However, in June 2009, four papers were published simultaneously in Diabetologia, the official journal of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, raising questions of a link between diabetes therapies, notably the long-acting insulin analogue, glargine, and increased cancer risk. These papers awakened an unprecedented debate in the diabetes community, drawing in cancer experts and bringing together representatives from these two large, traditionally non-intersecting, biomedical communities. This Current Perspective summarises the events that followed the 'breaking news' from summer 2009: the pitfalls encountered; the increased mutual understanding between diabetes and cancer researchers; and the direction of current research. Much of the debate on the clinical impact of this controversy has been played out in the diabetes literature: here, we update the oncology readership.
CitationDiabetes and cancer: 5 years into the recent controversy. 2014, 50 (12):2119-25 Eur J Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- [Diabetes and cancer risk: oncologic considerations].
- Authors: Rosta A
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 17
- The influence of glucose-lowering therapies on cancer risk in type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Currie CJ, Poole CD, Gale EA
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Diabetes mellitus and increased risk of cancer: focus on metformin and the insulin analogs.
- Authors: McFarland MS, Cripps R
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Diabetes therapy and cancer risk: causal effects and other plausible explanations.
- Authors: Hernández-Díaz S, Adami HO
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulin.
- Authors: Bowker SL, Majumdar SR, Veugelers P, Johnson JA
- Issue date: 2006 Feb