Management of elderly patients with NSCLC; updated expert's opinion paper: EORTC Elderly Task Force, Lung Cancer Group and International Society for Geriatric Oncology.
AffiliationMedical Department, European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, Brussels, Belgium
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is a very common disease in the elderly population and its incidence in this particular population is expected to increase further, because of the ageing of the Western population. Despite this, limited data are available for the treatment of these patients and, therefore, the development of evidence-based treatment recommendations is challenging. In 2010, European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) took an initiative in collaboration with International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) and created an experts panel that provided an experts' opinion consensus paper for the management of elderly NSCLC patients. Since this publication, important new data are available and EORTC and SIOG recommended to update the 2010 recommendations. Besides recommendations for surgery, adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy, treatment of locally advanced and metastatic disease, recommendations were expanded, to include data on patient preferences and geriatric assessment.
CitationManagement of elderly patients with NSCLC; updated expert's opinion paper: EORTC Elderly Task Force, Lung Cancer Group and International Society for Geriatric Oncology. 2014, 25 (7):1270-83 Ann Oncol
JournalAnnals of Oncology
- EORTC Elderly Task Force and Lung Cancer Group and International Society for Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) experts' opinion for the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer in an elderly population.
- Authors: Pallis AG, Gridelli C, van Meerbeeck JP, Greillier L, Wedding U, Lacombe D, Welch J, Belani CP, Aapro M
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Treatment of Elderly Patients With Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Results of an International Expert Panel Meeting of the Italian Association of Thoracic Oncology.
- Authors: Gridelli C, Balducci L, Ciardiello F, Di Maio M, Felip E, Langer C, Lilenbaum RC, Perrone F, Senan S, de Marinis F
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Management of elderly patients with breast cancer: updated recommendations of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) and European Society of Breast Cancer Specialists (EUSOMA).
- Authors: Biganzoli L, Wildiers H, Oakman C, Marotti L, Loibl S, Kunkler I, Reed M, Ciatto S, Voogd AC, Brain E, Cutuli B, Terret C, Gosney M, Aapro M, Audisio R
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- A review of the management of elderly patients with non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Blanco R, Maestu I, de la Torre MG, Cassinello A, Nuñez I
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Use of adjuvant chemotherapy (CT) and radiotherapy (RT) in incompletely resected (R1) early stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): a European survey conducted by the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) young oncologists committee.
- Authors: Califano R, Karamouzis MV, Banerjee S, de Azambuja E, Guarneri V, Hutka M, Jordan K, Kamposioras K, Martinelli E, Corral J, Postel-Vinay S, Preusser M, Porcu L, Torri V
- Issue date: 2014 Jul