AffiliationDietetic Manager and Specialist Oncology Dietitian, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent publications regarding nutrition highlight the importance of eating and drinking for patients and their family/carer. This article focuses on the importance of nutrition and early nutritional intervention, giving guidance for nurses when caring for patients with palliative and end-of-life care needs when the focus of nutrition centres around symptom control and quality of life. Clear, sensitive communication, with agreed nutritional goals set with the patient and their family/carer, and regular review and adaptation throughout any 'cancer journey' are paramount in order to minimise anxiety and distress. A multidisciplinary team approach is often required in order to support ethical decision-making and to assist in devising an individualised nutritional management plan. Although this article aims to focus upon the nutritional aspects associated with advancing cancer, many aspects will clearly be transferrable to patients with other life-limiting illnesses such as dementia and advanced cardiac and pulmonary disease.
CitationNutrition in palliative and end-of-life care. 2014, 19 Suppl 7:S15-20 Br J Community Nurs
JournalBritish Journal of Community Nursing
- Nutrition in palliative care.
- Authors: Acreman S
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Nutritional support at the end of life.
- Authors: Orrevall Y
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Nutritional support and quality of life in cancer patients undergoing palliative care.
- Authors: Prevost V, Grach MC
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- [Standards, options and recommendations: nutritional support in palliative or terminal care of adult patients with progressive cancer].
- Authors: Bachmann P, Marti-Massoud C, Blanc-Vincent MP, Desport JC, Colomb V, Dieu L, Kere D, Melchior JC, Nitenberg G, Raynard B, Roux-Bournay P, Schneider S, Senesse P
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Patients unsatisfied with palliative care: improving documentation that focuses on patients' needs.
- Authors: Rubio V, Voss K
- Issue date: 2011 Mar-Apr