AffiliationAngela Lamarca, Department of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDA) is known for its poor prognosis. Most of the patients are diagnosed with advanced stages, when no curative treatment is available. Currently, despite extensive clinical research on PDA, the median overall survival remains short. Diagnosis delay and primary chemo-resistance due to its intrinsic biological nature may explain the challenges to improve our results. Our knowledge about the molecular biology of PDA has exponentially increased during the last decades and its use for the development of biomarkers could help to reach better results in the clinical setting. These biomarkers could be the clue for the improvement in PDA clinical research by earlier detection strategies with diagnostic biomarkers, and by an individualization of treatment approach with prognostic and predictive biomarkers. This review summarizes the current knowledge about the molecular biology of PDA and the status of the most important prognostic and predictive biomarkers.
CitationPancreatic biomarkers: Could they be the answer? 2014, 20 (24):7819-7829 World J Gastroenterol
JournalWorld Journal of Gastroenterology
- Genomics of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Pilarsky C, Grutzmann R
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Update on the management of pancreatic cancer: surgery is not enough.
- Authors: Ansari D, Gustafsson A, Andersson R
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 21
- MicroRNAs as emerging biomarkers and therapeutic targets for pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Gayral M, Jo S, Hanoun N, Vignolle-Vidoni A, Lulka H, Delpu Y, Meulle A, Dufresne M, Humeau M, Chalret du Rieu M, Bournet B, Sèlves J, Guimbaud R, Carrère N, Buscail L, Torrisani J, Cordelier P
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 28
- Translational research in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: current evidence and future concepts.
- Authors: Kruger S, Haas M, Ormanns S, Bächmann S, Siveke JT, Kirchner T, Heinemann V, Boeck S
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 21
- Linc00675 is a novel marker of short survival and recurrence in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Li DD, Fu ZQ, Lin Q, Zhou Y, Zhou QB, Li ZH, Tan LP, Chen RF, Liu YM
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 21