Torin1-mediated TOR kinase inhibition reduces Wee1 levels and advances mitotic commitment in fission yeast and HeLa cells.
Hitchin, James R
Jordan, Allan M
AffiliationFaculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Michael Smith Building, Manchester M13 9PT, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe target of rapamycin (TOR) kinase regulates cell growth and division. Rapamycin only inhibits a subset of TOR activities. Here we show that in contrast to the mild impact of rapamycin on cell division, blocking the catalytic site of TOR with the Torin1 inhibitor completely arrests growth without cell death in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. A mutation of the Tor2 glycine residue (G2040D) that lies adjacent to the key Torin-interacting tryptophan provides Torin1 resistance, confirming the specificity of Torin1 for TOR. Using this mutation, we show that Torin1 advanced mitotic onset before inducing growth arrest. In contrast to TOR inhibition with rapamycin, regulation by either Wee1 or Cdc25 was sufficient for this Torin1-induced advanced mitosis. Torin1 promoted a Polo and Cdr2 kinase-controlled drop in Wee1 levels. Experiments in human cell lines recapitulated these yeast observations: mammalian TOR (mTOR) was inhibited by Torin1, Wee1 levels declined and mitotic commitment was advanced in HeLa cells. Thus, the regulation of the mitotic inhibitor Wee1 by TOR signalling is a conserved mechanism that helps to couple cell cycle and growth controls.
CitationTorin1-mediated TOR kinase inhibition reduces Wee1 levels and advances mitotic commitment in fission yeast and HeLa cells. 2014, 127 (Pt 6):1346-56 J Cell Sci
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- Ste12/Fab1 phosphatidylinositol-3-phosphate 5-kinase is required for nitrogen-regulated mitotic commitment and cell size control.
- Authors: Cobley D, Hálová L, Schauries M, Kaczmarek A, Franz-Wachtel M, Du W, Krug K, Maček B, Petersen J
- Issue date: 2017
- The reverse, but coordinated, roles of Tor2 (TORC1) and Tor1 (TORC2) kinases for growth, cell cycle and separase-mediated mitosis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
- Authors: Ikai N, Nakazawa N, Hayashi T, Yanagida M
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- The S. pombe cytokinesis NDR kinase Sid2 activates Fin1 NIMA kinase to control mitotic commitment through Pom1/Wee1.
- Authors: Grallert A, Connolly Y, Smith DL, Simanis V, Hagan IM
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 10
- The protein kinase Cdr2, related to Nim1/Cdr1 mitotic inducer, regulates the onset of mitosis in fission yeast.
- Authors: Kanoh J, Russell P
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- Wee1 and Cdc25 are controlled by conserved PP2A-dependent mechanisms in fission yeast.
- Authors: Lucena R, Alcaide-Gavilán M, Anastasia SD, Kellogg DR
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 4