Acute myeloid leukaemia after treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in girl with Bloom syndrome.
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatric Oncology, Children's Hospital for Wales, University Hospital, Cardiff CF14 4XW, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBloom syndrome (BS) is an inherited genomic instability disorder caused by disruption of the BLM helicase and confers an extreme cancer predisposition. Here we report on a girl with BS who developed acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) at age nine, and treatment-related acute myeloid leukaemia (t-AML) aged 12. She was compound heterozygous for the novel BLM frameshift deletion c.1624delG and the previously described c.3415C>T nonsense mutation. Two haematological malignancies in a child with BS imply a fundamental role for BLM for normal haematopoiesis, in particular in the presence of genotoxic stress.
CitationAcute myeloid leukaemia after treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in girl with Bloom syndrome. 2013, 4 (8): J Genet Syndr Gene Ther
JournalJournal of Genetic Syndromes & Gene Therapy
- A novel frameshift mutation in BLM gene associated with high sister chromatid exchanges (SCE) in heterozygous family members.
- Authors: Ben Salah G, Hadj Salem I, Masmoudi A, Kallabi F, Turki H, Fakhfakh F, Ayadi H, Kamoun H
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Chromosomal instability associated with a novel BLM frameshift mutation (c.1980-1982delAA) in two unrelated Tunisian families with Bloom syndrome.
- Authors: Ben Salah G, Salem IH, Masmoudi A, Ben Rhouma B, Turki H, Fakhfakh F, Ayadi H, Kamoun H
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Tandem duplication of the FLT3 gene is found in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia as well as acute myeloid leukaemia but not in myelodysplastic syndrome or juvenile chronic myelogenous leukaemia in children.
- Authors: Xu F, Taki T, Yang HW, Hanada R, Hongo T, Ohnishi H, Kobayashi M, Bessho F, Yanagisawa M, Hayashi Y
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- The DNA helicase activity of BLM is necessary for the correction of the genomic instability of bloom syndrome cells.
- Authors: Neff NF, Ellis NA, Ye TZ, Noonan J, Huang K, Sanz M, Proytcheva M
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- [Lineage switch - conversion of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia to acute myeloid leukaemia in 4 years old girl].
- Authors: Szpecht D, Derwich K, Wachowiak J, Konatkowska B, Dworacki G
- Issue date: 2008 Oct-Dec