Management of colorectal cancer presenting with synchronous liver metastases.
AffiliationHepatobiliary Surgery Unit, Manchester Biomedical Research Centre and NIHR Greater Manchester Research Network, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUp to a fifth of patients with colorectal cancer (CRC) present with synchronous hepatic metastases. In patients with CRC who present without intestinal obstruction or perforation and in whom comprehensive whole-body imaging confirms the absence of extrahepatic disease, evidence indicates a state of equipoise between several different management pathways, none of which has demonstrated superiority. Neoadjuvant systemic chemotherapy is advocated by current guidelines, but must be integrated with surgical management in order to remove the primary tumour and liver metastatic burden. Surgery for CRC with synchronous liver metastases can take a number of forms: the 'classic' approach, involving initial colorectal resection, interval chemotherapy and liver resection as the final step; simultaneous removal of the liver and bowel tumours with neoadjuvant or adjuvant chemotherapy; or a 'liver-first' approach (before or after systemic chemotherapy) with removal of the colorectal tumour as the final procedure. In patients with rectal primary tumours, the liver-first approach can potentially avoid rectal surgery in patients with a complete response to chemoradiotherapy. We overview the importance of precise nomenclature, the influence of clinical presentation on treatment options, and the need for accurate, up-to-date surgical terminology, staging tests and contemporary management options in CRC and synchronous hepatic metastatic disease, with an emphasis on multidisciplinary care.
CitationManagement of colorectal cancer presenting with synchronous liver metastases. 2014: Nat Rev Clin Oncol
JournalNature Reviews Clinical Oncology
- Treatment strategies for colorectal carcinoma with synchronous liver metastases: Which way to go?
- Authors: Ihnát P, Vávra P, Zonča P
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 14
- 'Liver first' approach in the treatment of colorectal cancer with synchronous liver metastases.
- Authors: Mentha G, Roth AD, Terraz S, Giostra E, Gervaz P, Andres A, Morel P, Rubbia-Brandt L, Majno PE
- Issue date: 2008
- [Management of synchronous colorectal liver metastases].
- Authors: Dupré A, Gagnière J, Chen Y, Rivoire M
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 1
- Managing synchronous liver metastases from colorectal cancer: a multidisciplinary international consensus.
- Authors: Adam R, de Gramont A, Figueras J, Kokudo N, Kunstlinger F, Loyer E, Poston G, Rougier P, Rubbia-Brandt L, Sobrero A, Teh C, Tejpar S, Van Cutsem E, Vauthey JN, Påhlman L, of the EGOSLIM (Expert Group on OncoSurgery management of LIver Metastases) group.
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Locoregional surgical and interventional therapies for advanced colorectal cancer liver metastases: expert consensus statements.
- Authors: Abdalla EK, Bauer TW, Chun YS, D'Angelica M, Kooby DA, Jarnagin WR
- Issue date: 2013 Feb