Assessing standardization of molecular testing for non-small-cell lung cancer: results of a worldwide external quality assessment (EQA) scheme for EGFR mutation testing.
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationEMQN, Manchester Centre for Genomic Medicine, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester M13 9WL, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground:The external quality assurance (EQA) process aims at establishing laboratory performance levels. Leading European groups in the fields of EQA, Pathology, and Medical and Thoracic Oncology collaborated in a pilot EQA scheme for somatic epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene mutational analysis in non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC).Methods:EQA samples generated from cell lines mimicking clinical samples were provided to participating laboratories, each with a mock clinical case. Participating laboratories performed the analysis using their usual method(s). Anonymous results were assessed and made available to all participants. Two subsequent EQA rounds followed the pilot scheme.Results:One hundred and seventeen labs from 30 countries registered and 91 returned results. Sanger sequencing and a commercial kit were the main methodologies used. The standard of genotyping was suboptimal, with a significant number of genotyping errors made. Only 72 out of 91 (72%) participants passed the EQA. False-negative and -positive results were the main sources of error. The quality of reports submitted was acceptable; most were clear, concise and easy to read. However, some participants reported the genotyping result in the absence of any interpretation and many obscured the interpretation required for clinical care.Conclusions:Even in clinical laboratories, the technical performance of genotyping in EGFR mutation testing for NSCLC can be improved, evident from a high level of diagnostic errors. Robust EQA can contribute to global optimisation of EGFR testing for NSCLC patients.British Journal of Cancer advance online publication, 1 July 2014; doi:10.1038/bjc.2014.353 www.bjcancer.com.
CitationAssessing standardization of molecular testing for non-small-cell lung cancer: results of a worldwide external quality assessment (EQA) scheme for EGFR mutation testing. 2014: Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Results of the First Italian External Quality Assurance Scheme for somatic EGFR mutation testing in non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Normanno N, Pinto C, Taddei G, Gambacorta M, Castiglione F, Barberis M, Clemente C, Marchetti A
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Improvement in the quality of molecular analysis of EGFR in non-small-cell lung cancer detected by three rounds of external quality assessment.
- Authors: Deans ZC, Bilbe N, O'Sullivan B, Lazarou LP, de Castro DG, Parry S, Dodson A, Taniere P, Clark C, Butler R
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- ALK rearrangement testing by FISH analysis in non-small-cell lung cancer patients: results of the first italian external quality assurance scheme.
- Authors: Marchetti A, Barberis M, Papotti M, Rossi G, Franco R, Malatesta S, Buttitta F, Ardizzoni A, Crinò L, Gridelli C, Taddei GL, Clemente C, Scagliotti G, Normanno N, Pinto C
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- The Italian external quality assessment for RAS testing in colorectal carcinoma identifies methods-related inter-laboratory differences.
- Authors: Normanno N, Pinto C, Castiglione F, Fenizia F, Barberis M, Marchetti A, Fontanini G, De Rosa G, Taddei GL
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 3
- EGFR T790M mutation testing of non-small cell lung cancer tissue and blood samples artificially spiked with circulating cell-free tumor DNA: results of a round robin trial.
- Authors: Fassunke J, Ihle MA, Lenze D, Lehmann A, Hummel M, Vollbrecht C, Penzel R, Volckmar AL, Stenzinger A, Endris V, Jung A, Lehmann U, Zeugner S, Baretton G, Kreipe H, Schirmacher P, Kirchner T, Dietel M, Büttner R, Merkelbach-Bruse S
- Issue date: 2017 Oct