Tumorigenicity and genetic profiling of circulating tumor cells in small-cell lung cancer.
AuthorsHodgkinson, Cassandra L
Morrow, Christopher J
Rothwell, Dominic G
Burt, Deborah J
Simpson, Kathryn L
Pepper, Stuart D
Krebs, Matthew G
Miller, Crispin J
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationClinical and Experimental Pharmacology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall-cell lung cancer (SCLC), an aggressive neuroendocrine tumor with early dissemination and dismal prognosis, accounts for 15-20% of lung cancer cases and ∼200,000 deaths each year. Most cases are inoperable, and biopsies to investigate SCLC biology are rarely obtainable. Circulating tumor cells (CTCs), which are prevalent in SCLC, present a readily accessible 'liquid biopsy'. Here we show that CTCs from patients with either chemosensitive or chemorefractory SCLC are tumorigenic in immune-compromised mice, and the resultant CTC-derived explants (CDXs) mirror the donor patient's response to platinum and etoposide chemotherapy. Genomic analysis of isolated CTCs revealed considerable similarity to the corresponding CDX. Most marked differences were observed between CDXs from patients with different clinical outcomes. These data demonstrate that CTC molecular analysis via serial blood sampling could facilitate delivery of personalized medicine for SCLC. CDXs are readily passaged, and these unique mouse models provide tractable systems for therapy testing and understanding drug resistance mechanisms.
CitationTumorigenicity and genetic profiling of circulating tumor cells in small-cell lung cancer. 2014: Nat Med
- Molecular analysis of circulating tumor cells identifies distinct copy-number profiles in patients with chemosensitive and chemorefractory small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Carter L, Rothwell DG, Mesquita B, Smowton C, Leong HS, Fernandez-Gutierrez F, Li Y, Burt DJ, Antonello J, Morrow CJ, Hodgkinson CL, Morris K, Priest L, Carter M, Miller C, Hughes A, Blackhall F, Dive C, Brady G
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- The identification of a TNBC liver metastasis gene signature by sequential CTC-xenograft modeling.
- Authors: Vishnoi M, Liu NH, Yin W, Boral D, Scamardo A, Hong D, Marchetti D
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Biomarkers for small cell lung cancer: neuroendocrine, epithelial and circulating tumour cells.
- Authors: Stovold R, Blackhall F, Meredith S, Hou J, Dive C, White A
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Vasculogenic mimicry in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Williamson SC, Metcalf RL, Trapani F, Mohan S, Antonello J, Abbott B, Leong HS, Chester CP, Simms N, Polanski R, Nonaka D, Priest L, Fusi A, Carlsson F, Carlsson A, Hendrix MJ, Seftor RE, Seftor EA, Rothwell DG, Hughes A, Hicks J, Miller C, Kuhn P, Brady G, Simpson KL, Blackhall FH, Dive C
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 9
- Characterization of DLL3-positive circulating tumor cells (CTCs) in patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC) and evaluation of their clinical relevance during front-line treatment.
- Authors: Messaritakis I, Nikolaou M, Koinis F, Politaki E, Koutsopoulos A, Lagoudaki E, Vetsika EK, Georgoulias V, Kotsakis A
- Issue date: 2019 Sep