The European initiative for quality management in lung cancer care.
De Ruysscher, D
van Schil, P
AffiliationKlinik für Pneumologie, Lungenklinik Heckeshorn, HELIOS Klinikum Emil von Behring, Berlin, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer is the commonest cause of cancer-related death worldwide and poses a significant respiratory disease burden. Little is known about the provision of lung cancer care across Europe. The overall aim of the Task Force was to investigate current practice in lung cancer care across Europe. The Task Force undertook four projects: 1) a narrative literature search on quality management of lung cancer; 2) a survey of national and local infrastructure for lung cancer care in Europe; 3) a benchmarking project on the quality of (inter)national lung cancer guidelines in Europe; and 4) a feasibility study of prospective data collection in a pan-European setting. There is little peer-reviewed literature on quality management in lung cancer care. The survey revealed important differences in the infrastructure of lung cancer care in Europe. The European guidelines that were assessed displayed wide variation in content and scope, as well as methodological quality but at the same time there was relevant duplication. The feasibility study demonstrated that it is, in principle, feasible to collect prospective demographic and clinical data on patients with lung cancer. Legal obligations vary among countries. The European Initiative for Quality Management in Lung Cancer Care has provided the first comprehensive snapshot of lung cancer care in Europe.
CitationThe European initiative for quality management in lung cancer care. 2014, 43 (5):1254-77 Eur Respir J
JournalThe European Respiratory Journal
- ERS statement on harmonised standards for lung cancer registration and lung cancer services in Europe.
- Authors: Rich AL, Baldwin DR, Beckett P, Berghmans T, Boyd J, Faivre-Finn C, Galateau-Salle F, Gamarra F, Grigoriu B, Hansen NG, Hardavella G, Jakobsen E, Jovanovic D, Konsoulova A, Massard G, McPhelim J, Meert AP, Milroy R, Mutti L, Paesmans M, Peake MD, Putora PM, de Ruysscher DKM, Sculier JP, Scherpereel A, Subotic DR, Van Schil P, Blum TG
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Cardiac rehabilitation in Europe: results from the European Cardiac Rehabilitation Inventory Survey.
- Authors: Bjarnason-Wehrens B, McGee H, Zwisler AD, Piepoli MF, Benzer W, Schmid JP, Dendale P, Pogosova NG, Zdrenghea D, Niebauer J, Mendes M, Cardiac Rehabilitation Section European Association of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation.
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Health services research related to performance indicators and benchmarking in Europe.
- Authors: Klazinga N, Fischer C, ten Asbroek A
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- CoCanCPG. Coordination of cancer clinical practice in Europe.
- Authors: Fervers B, Remy-Stockinger M, Mazeau-Woynar V, Otter R, Liberati A, Littlejohns P, Qureshi S, Vlayen J, Characiejus D, Corbacho B, Garner S, Hamza-Mohamed F, Hermosilla T, Kersten S, Kulig M, Leshem B, Levine N, Ballini L, Middelton C, Mlika-Cabane N, Paquet L, Podmaniczki E, Ramaekers D, Robinson E, Sanchez E, Philip T
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr
- National benchmarking between the Nordic countries on the quality of care.
- Authors: Mainz J, Hjulsager M, Og MT, Burgaard J
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 15