Melanomas With Rhabdomyosarcomatous Differentiation: Two Further Cases of a Rare Pathologic Pitfall.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, The Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe 2 new cases of malignant melanoma with divergent rhabdomyoblastic differentiation occurring in adult patients. The patients were women aged 67 and 51 years with primary cutaneous and uterine cervical melanoma, respectively. Rhabdomyoblastic differentiation in melanoma is very rare in adult patients, and to our knowledge, only 7 such cases have been described in the world literature, of which only 4 have conclusive documentation of the presence of rhabdomyoblastic differentiation. We present the fifth and sixth cases of adult melanomas with conclusive divergent rhabdomyoblastic differentiation, including the first noncutaneous (cervical) case; we also review the literature and highlight the potential for underrecognition of this phenomenon.
CitationMelanomas With Rhabdomyosarcomatous Differentiation: Two Further Cases of a Rare Pathologic Pitfall. 2014: Int. J. Surg. Pathol.
JournalInternational Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Malignant Melanoma With Rhabdomyosarcomatous Differentiation: A Case Report.
- Authors: Antonov NK, Niedt GW
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Rhabdomyoblastic differentiation in malignant melanoma in adults: report of 2 cases.
- Authors: Gharpuray-Pandit D, Coyne J, Eyden B, Banerjee SS
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Undifferentiated Sarcoma as Intermediate Step in the Progression of Malignant Melanoma to Rhabdomyosarcoma: Histologic, Immunohistochemical, and Molecular Studies of a New Case of Malignant Melanoma With Rhabdomyosarcomatous Differentiation.
- Authors: Tran TAN, Linos K, de Abreu FB, Carlson JA
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Divergent differentiation in malignant melanomas: a review.
- Authors: Banerjee SS, Eyden B
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- [Uterine metastases of malignant melanoma].
- Authors: Glaubitz M, Jantzen K, Amthor M
- Issue date: 1992 Feb