Hyperfractionated and accelerated radiotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationRadiotherapy Related Research, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadical radiotherapy plays a major role in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) due to the fact that many patients are medically or surgically inoperable. Advances in technology and radiotherapy delivery allow targeted treatment of the disease, whilst minimizing the dose to organs at risk. This in turn creates an opportunity for dose escalation and the prospect of tailoring radiotherapy treatment to each patient. This is especially important in patients deemed unsuitable for chemotherapy or surgery, where there is a need to increase the therapeutic gain from radical radiotherapy alone. Recent research into fractionation schedules, with hyperfractionated and accelerated radiotherapy regimes has been promising. How to combine these new fractionated schedules with dose escalation and chemotherapy remains open to debate and there is local, national and international variation in management with a lack of overall consensus. An overview of the current literature on hyperfractionated and accelerated radiotherapy in NSCLC is provided.
CitationHyperfractionated and accelerated radiotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. 2014, 6 (4):328-335 J Thorac Dis
JournalJournal of Thoracic Disease
- The evolving locally-advanced non-small cell lung cancer landscape: Building on past evidence and experience.
- Authors: Méry B, Guy JB, Swalduz A, Vallard A, Guibert C, Almokhles H, Ben Mrad M, Rivoirard R, Falk AT, Fournel P, Magné N
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Gemcitabine, cisplatin, and hyperfractionated accelerated radiotherapy for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Zwitter M, Kovac V, Smrdel U, Strojan P
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Radical accelerated radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): A 5-year retrospective review of two dose fractionation schedules.
- Authors: Robinson SD, Tahir BA, Absalom KAR, Lankathilake A, Das T, Lee C, Fisher PM, Bates E, Hatton MQF
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 25
- New radiotherapy approaches in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Christodoulou M, Bayman N, McCloskey P, Rowbottom C, Faivre-Finn C
- Issue date: 2014 Feb