Bacterial expression and functional reconstitution of human heparanase.
AffiliationDepartment of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Graz, Humboldtstrasse 46, 8010 Graz, Austria
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman heparanase is a heparan sulfate degrading enzyme located in the extracellular matrix playing a decisive role in angiogenesis and tumor metastasis. Translated as a 65kDa inactive prae-form, the protein is processed into an 8kDa and a 50kDa subunit which form a non-covalently associated active heterodimer. We have expressed the two subunits separately in Escherichia coli which yielded active human heparanase upon reconstitution. The two purified subunits folded independently and secondary structure analysis by far-UV CD spectroscopy gave 33.1/11.1% α/β content for the 50kDa subunit and 6.9/49% α/β content for the 8kDa subunit. This heparanase expression system is easy and can be used for efficient screening for enzyme inhibitors.
CitationBacterial expression and functional reconstitution of human heparanase. 2014: Carbohydr Res
- Human heparanase nuclear localization and enzymatic activity.
- Authors: Schubert SY, Ilan N, Shushy M, Ben-Izhak O, Vlodavsky I, Goldshmidt O
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Identification and characterization of heparin/heparan sulfate binding domains of the endoglycosidase heparanase.
- Authors: Levy-Adam F, Abboud-Jarrous G, Guerrini M, Beccati D, Vlodavsky I, Ilan N
- Issue date: 2005 May 27
- Mechanism of activation of human heparanase investigated by protein engineering.
- Authors: Nardella C, Lahm A, Pallaoro M, Brunetti M, Vannini A, Steinkühler C
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 24
- Cloning, expression, and purification of mouse heparanase.
- Authors: Miao HQ, Navarro E, Patel S, Sargent D, Koo H, Wan H, Plata A, Zhou Q, Ludwig D, Bohlen P, Kussie P
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- A functional heparan sulfate mimetic implicates both heparanase and heparan sulfate in tumor angiogenesis and invasion in a mouse model of multistage cancer.
- Authors: Joyce JA, Freeman C, Meyer-Morse N, Parish CR, Hanahan D
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 9