The outcome of patients sustaining a proximal femur fracture who suffer from alcohol dependency.
AffiliationManchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere are many negative health consequences associated with alcohol dependency. Fractures of the proximal femur carry significant morbidity and mortality. This study examines the outcomes in patients with alcohol dependency, who sustain a fracture of the proximal femur. Twenty-eight consecutive alcohol dependent patients who suffered a fracture of the proximal femur were identified over a three year period. Data were collected on demographics, co-morbidity, surgical factors, mobility and mortality. The median age of patients was 61 years. The median weekly alcohol intake was 158 units. Thirteen patients sustained an extra-capsular fracture and 15 an intra-capsular proximal femoral fracture. Twenty-two fractures were treated with internal fixation and six with arthroplasty. The overall mortality rate was 29% at a median of 15 months post fracture. The failure rate of intra-capsular fractures fixed with cannulated screws was 56% at a median time of 43 days. All patients had a reduction in mobility compared to their pre-operative function. The reduction in mobility was greatest in patients with intra-capsular fractures treated with cannulated screw fixation. Alcohol dependent patients sustaining a fracture of the proximal femur are significantly younger than non-alcohol dependent patients sustaining the same injury. Despite the younger age at presentation the one year mortality rate of this group was high (29%). The high rate of complications with fracture fixation and high one year mortality suggest that hemiarthroplasty may be the best treatment option for intra-capsular fractures in this patient group.
CitationThe outcome of patients sustaining a proximal femur fracture who suffer from alcohol dependency. 2014: Injury
- To "the outcome of patients sustaining a proximal femur fracture who suffer from alcohol dependency".
- Authors: Liu Y, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Results of non-operative treatment following hip fracture compared to surgical intervention.
- Authors: Hossain M, Neelapala V, Andrew JG
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- [Osteosynthesis of intracapsular femoral neck fractures by dynamic hip screw (DHS) fixation].
- Authors: Majernícek M, Dungl P, Kolman J, Malkus T, Vaculík J
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- [Ipsilateral fractures of the proximal femur and the femoral shaft].
- Authors: Douša P, Bartoníček J, Pavelka T, Luňáček L
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Treatment of periprosthetic femur fractures around a well-fixed hip arthroplasty implant: span the whole bone.
- Authors: Moloney GB, Westrick ER, Siska PA, Tarkin IS
- Issue date: 2014 Jan