CYP2D6 genotype and adjuvant tamoxifen: meta-analysis of heterogeneous study populations.
AffiliationCenter for Genome Sciences and Systems Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe International Tamoxifen Pharmacogenomics Consortium was established to address the controversy regarding cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) status and clinical outcomes in tamoxifen therapy. We performed a meta-analysis on data from 4,973 tamoxifen-treated patients (12 globally distributed sites). Using strict eligibility requirements (postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer, receiving 20 mg/day tamoxifen for 5 years, criterion 1); CYP2D6 poor metabolizer status was associated with poorer invasive disease-free survival (IDFS: hazard ratio = 1.25; 95% confidence interval = 1.06, 1.47; P = 0.009). However, CYP2D6 status was not statistically significant when tamoxifen duration, menopausal status, and annual follow-up were not specified (criterion 2, n = 2,443; P = 0.25) or when no exclusions were applied (criterion 3, n = 4,935; P = 0.38). Although CYP2D6 is a strong predictor of IDFS using strict inclusion criteria, because the results are not robust to inclusion criteria (these were not defined a priori), prospective studies are necessary to fully establish the value of CYP2D6 genotyping in tamoxifen therapy.
CitationCYP2D6 genotype and adjuvant tamoxifen: meta-analysis of heterogeneous study populations. 2014, 95 (2):216-27 Clin Pharmacol Ther
JournalClinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Association between CYP2D6 polymorphisms and outcomes among women with early stage breast cancer treated with tamoxifen.
- Authors: Schroth W, Goetz MP, Hamann U, Fasching PA, Schmidt M, Winter S, Fritz P, Simon W, Suman VJ, Ames MM, Safgren SL, Kuffel MJ, Ulmer HU, Boländer J, Strick R, Beckmann MW, Koelbl H, Weinshilboum RM, Ingle JN, Eichelbaum M, Schwab M, Brauch H
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 7
- Pharmacogenomic variation of CYP2D6 and the choice of optimal adjuvant endocrine therapy for postmenopausal breast cancer: a modeling analysis.
- Authors: Punglia RS, Burstein HJ, Winer EP, Weeks JC
- Issue date: 2008 May 7
- Prediction of tamoxifen outcome by genetic variation of CYP2D6 in post-menopausal women with early breast cancer.
- Authors: Brauch H, Schwab M
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Lack of any association between functionally significant CYP2D6 polymorphisms and clinical outcomes in early breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant tamoxifen treatment.
- Authors: Park IH, Ro J, Park S, Lim HS, Lee KS, Kang HS, Jung SY, Lee S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- The impact of cytochrome P450 2D6 metabolism in women receiving adjuvant tamoxifen.
- Authors: Goetz MP, Knox SK, Suman VJ, Rae JM, Safgren SL, Ames MM, Visscher DW, Reynolds C, Couch FJ, Lingle WL, Weinshilboum RM, Fritcher EG, Nibbe AM, Desta Z, Nguyen A, Flockhart DA, Perez EA, Ingle JN
- Issue date: 2007 Jan