3'-UTR poly(T/U) tract deletions and altered expression of EWSR1 are a hallmark of mismatch repair-deficient cancers.
Altermatt, H J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe genome-wide accumulation of DNA replication errors known as microsatellite instability (MSI) is the hallmark lesion of DNA mismatch repair (MMR)-deficient cancers. Although testing for MSI is widely used to guide clinical management, the contribution of MSI at distinct genic loci to the phenotype remains largely unexplored. Here, we report that a mononucleotide (T/U)16 tract located in the 3' untranslated region (3'-UTR) of the Ewing sarcoma breakpoint region 1 (EWSR1) gene is a novel MSI target locus that shows perfect sensitivity and specificity in detecting mismatch repair-deficient cancers in two independent populations. We further found a striking relocalization of the EWSR1 protein from nucleus to cytoplasm in MMR-deficient cancers and that the nonprotein-coding MSI target locus itself has a modulatory effect on EWSR1 gene expression through alternative 3' end processing of the EWSR1 gene. Our results point to a MSI target gene-specific effect in MMR-deficient cancers.
Citation3'-UTR poly(T/U) tract deletions and altered expression of EWSR1 are a hallmark of mismatch repair-deficient cancers. 2014, 74 (1):224-34 Cancer Res
- 3'-UTR poly(T/U) repeat of EWSR1 is altered in microsatellite unstable colorectal cancer with nearly perfect sensitivity.
- Authors: Kondelin J, Tuupanen S, Gylfe AE, Aavikko M, Renkonen-Sinisalo L, Järvinen H, Böhm J, Mecklin JP, Andersen CL, Vahteristo P, Pitkänen E, Aaltonen LA
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- DNA mismatch repair deficiency in sporadic colorectal cancer and Lynch syndrome.
- Authors: Poulogiannis G, Frayling IM, Arends MJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- [Clinical and molecular consequences of microsatellite instability in human cancers].
- Authors: Hamelin R, Chalastanis A, Colas C, El Bchiri J, Mercier D, Schreurs AS, Simon V, Svrcek M, Zaanan A, Borie C, Buhard O, Capel E, Zouali H, Praz F, Muleris M, Fléjou JF, Duval A
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Microsatellite instability and DNA mismatch repair deficiency testing in hereditary and sporadic gastrointestinal cancers.
- Authors: Gologan A, Sepulveda AR
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Specific clinical and biological features characterize inflammatory bowel disease associated colorectal cancers showing microsatellite instability.
- Authors: Svrcek M, El-Bchiri J, Chalastanis A, Capel E, Dumont S, Buhard O, Oliveira C, Seruca R, Bossard C, Mosnier JF, Berger F, Leteurtre E, Lavergne-Slove A, Chenard MP, Hamelin R, Cosnes J, Beaugerie L, Tiret E, Duval A, Fléjou JF
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 20