Phosphorylation of the TOR ATP binding domain by AGC kinase constitutes a novel mode of TOR inhibition.
AffiliationFaculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, England, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTOR (target of rapamycin) signaling coordinates cell growth, metabolism, and cell division through tight control of signaling via two complexes, TORC1 and TORC2. Here, we show that fission yeast TOR kinases and mTOR are phosphorylated on an evolutionarily conserved residue of their ATP-binding domain. The Gad8 kinase (AKT homologue) phosphorylates fission yeast Tor1 at this threonine (T1972) to reduce activity. A T1972A mutation that blocked phosphorylation increased Tor1 activity and stress resistance. Nitrogen starvation of fission yeast inhibited TOR signaling to arrest cell cycle progression in G1 phase and promoted sexual differentiation. Starvation and a Gad8/T1972-dependent decrease in Tor1 (TORC2) activity was essential for efficient cell cycle arrest and differentiation. Experiments in human cell lines recapitulated these yeast observations, as mTOR was phosphorylated on T2173 in an AKT-dependent manner. In addition, a T2173A mutation increased mTOR activity. Thus, TOR kinase activity can be reduced through AGC kinase-controlled phosphorylation to generate physiologically significant changes in TOR signaling.
CitationPhosphorylation of the TOR ATP binding domain by AGC kinase constitutes a novel mode of TOR inhibition. 2013, 203 (4):595-604 J Cell Biol
JournalThe Journal of Cell Biology
- Phosphorylation of the amino-terminus of the AGC kinase Gad8 prevents its interaction with TORC2.
- Authors: Du W, Forte GM, Smith D, Petersen J
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Glucose activates TORC2-Gad8 protein via positive regulation of the cAMP/cAMP-dependent protein kinase A (PKA) pathway and negative regulation of the Pmk1 protein-mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway.
- Authors: Cohen A, Kupiec M, Weisman R
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 1
- Rab-family GTPase regulates TOR complex 2 signaling in fission yeast.
- Authors: Tatebe H, Morigasaki S, Murayama S, Zeng CT, Shiozaki K
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 23
- Schizosaccharomyces pombe AGC family kinase Gad8p forms a conserved signaling module with TOR and PDK1-like kinases.
- Authors: Matsuo T, Kubo Y, Watanabe Y, Yamamoto M
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 16
- Phosphorylation of Wat1, human Lst8 homolog is critical for the regulation of TORC2 -Gad8 dependent pathway in fission yeast Schizosacchromyces pombe.
- Authors: Ahamad N, Sharma T, Khan S, Siddiqi MI, Ahmed S
- Issue date: 2018 May