Endothelial caveolin-1 plays a major role in the development of atherosclerosis.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractClinical studies have established the important impact of atherosclerotic disease in Western societies. This disease is characterized by the accumulation of lipids and the migration of various cell types in the sub-endothelial space of blood vessels. As demonstrated by many studies, endothelial cells play an essential role in the development of this disease. The endothelium acts as a gatekeeper of blood vessel integrity and cardiovascular health status. For instance, the transfer of lipids via the transport of lipoproteins in the arterial intima is believed to be mediated by endothelial cells through a process termed transcytosis. In addition, lipoproteins that accumulate in the sub-endothelial space may also be modified, in a process that can direct the activation of endothelial cells. These steps are essential for the initiation of an atherosclerotic plaque and may be mediated, at least in part, by caveolae and their associated protein caveolin-1. In the present study, we evaluate the role of caveolin-1/caveolae in the regulation of these two steps in endothelial cells. Our data clearly demonstrate that caveolin-1 is involved in the regulation of lipoprotein transcytosis across endothelial cells and in the regulation of vascular inflammation.
CitationEndothelial caveolin-1 plays a major role in the development of atherosclerosis. 2014: Cell Tissue Res
JournalCell and Tissue Research
- TNF-α promotes early atherosclerosis by increasing transcytosis of LDL across endothelial cells: crosstalk between NF-κB and PPAR-γ.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Yang X, Bian F, Wu P, Xing S, Xu G, Li W, Chi J, Ouyang C, Zheng T, Wu D, Zhang Y, Li Y, Jin S
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Caveolae and transcytosis in endothelial cells: role in atherosclerosis.
- Authors: Frank PG, Pavlides S, Lisanti MP
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Up-regulation of endothelial monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 by coplanar PCB77 is caveolin-1-dependent.
- Authors: Majkova Z, Smart E, Toborek M, Hennig B
- Issue date: 2009 May 15
- Caveolae and caveolin-1 mediate endocytosis and transcytosis of oxidized low density lipoprotein in endothelial cells.
- Authors: Sun SW, Zu XY, Tuo QH, Chen LX, Lei XY, Li K, Tang CK, Liao DF
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Atherosclerosis, caveolae and caveolin-1.
- Authors: Pavlides S, Gutierrez-Pajares JL, Danilo C, Lisanti MP, Frank PG
- Issue date: 2012