Phase II trial of sorafenib in advanced salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck.
AuthorsThomson, David J
Bonington, Suzanne C
Mak, Soo K
Homer, Jarrod J
Sykes, Andrew J
Lee, Lip W
Yap, Beng K
Slevin, Nicholas J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground There is a need to improve the systemic treatment of advanced adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC). Response rates to chemotherapy are poor and preliminary investigations of molecularly targeted agents have been disappointing. We evaluate sorafenib, an oral multi-kinase inhibitor, which has an attractive targeting profile for this disease. Materials and Methods In a single-arm phase II trial, patients with unresectable locally recurrent and/or metastatic ACC were treated with sorafenib 400mg bid. Results 23 patients, median age 51 years were recruited from 2009-2011. Median progression-free and overall survivals were 11.3 and 19.6 months, respectively. Progression-free survivals at 6 and 12 months were 69.3% and 46.2%, respectively. Sorafenib was only reasonably well tolerated and 13 (57%) patients experienced grade 3 toxicity. Conclusions Sorafenib showed modest activity in ACC with a 12 month progression-free survival of 46.2%. Sorafenib 400mg bid was associated with significant toxicity and taken together with limited effectiveness cannot be enthusiastically recommended for further evaluation. Head Neck, 2013.
CitationPhase II trial of sorafenib in advanced salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck. 2013: Head Neck
JournalHead & Neck
- A phase II study of sorafenib in recurrent and/or metastatic salivary gland carcinomas: Translational analyses and clinical impact.
- Authors: Locati LD, Perrone F, Cortelazzi B, Bergamini C, Bossi P, Civelli E, Morosi C, Lo Vullo S, Imbimbo M, Quattrone P, Dagrada GP, Granata R, Resteghini C, Mirabile A, Alfieri S, Orlandi E, Mariani L, Saibene G, Pilotti S, Licitra L
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Phase 2 study of dovitinib in patients with metastatic or unresectable adenoid cystic carcinoma.
- Authors: Keam B, Kim SB, Shin SH, Cho BC, Lee KW, Kim MK, Yun HJ, Lee SH, Yoon DH, Bang YJ
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 1
- Phase II trial of dasatinib for recurrent or metastatic c-KIT expressing adenoid cystic carcinoma and for nonadenoid cystic malignant salivary tumors.
- Authors: Wong SJ, Karrison T, Hayes DN, Kies MS, Cullen KJ, Tanvetyanon T, Argiris A, Takebe N, Lim D, Saba NF, Worden FP, Gilbert J, Lenz HJ, Razak AR, Roberts JD, Vokes EE, Cohen EE
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Patients with adenoid cystic carcinomas of the salivary glands treated with lenvatinib: Activity and quality of life.
- Authors: Locati LD, Galbiati D, Calareso G, Alfieri S, Singer S, Cavalieri S, Bergamini C, Bossi P, Orlandi E, Resteghini C, Platini F, Granata R, Quattrone P, Mancinelli M, Mariani L, Lo Vullo S, Licitra LF
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 1
- Phase II study of gefitinib in patients with advanced salivary gland cancers.
- Authors: Jakob JA, Kies MS, Glisson BS, Kupferman ME, Liu DD, Lee JJ, El-Naggar AK, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Blumenschein GR Jr
- Issue date: 2015 May