Poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation in regulation of chromatin structure and the DNA damage response.
AffiliationCancer Research UK, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPoly(ADP-ribose) (PAR) is a post-translational modification of proteins and is synthesised by PAR polymerases (PARPs), which have long been associated with the coordination of the cellular response to DNA damage, amongst other processes. Binding of some PARPs such as PARP1 to broken DNA induces a substantial wave of PARylation, which results in significant re-structuring of the chromatin microenvironment through modification of chromatin-associated proteins and recruitment of chromatin-modifying proteins. Similarly, other DNA damage response proteins are recruited to the damaged sites via PAR-specific binding modules, and in this way, PAR mediates not only local chromatin architecture but also DNA repair. Here, we discuss the expanding role of PAR in the DNA damage response, with particular focus on chromatin regulation.
CitationPoly(ADP-ribosyl)ation in regulation of chromatin structure and the DNA damage response. 2013: Chromosoma
- Functions of PARylation in DNA Damage Repair Pathways.
- Authors: Wei H, Yu X
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Poly(ADP-ribose): PARadigms and PARadoxes.
- Authors: Bürkle A, Virág L
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Differential and Concordant Roles for Poly(ADP-Ribose) Polymerase 1 and Poly(ADP-Ribose) in Regulating WRN and RECQL5 Activities.
- Authors: Khadka P, Hsu JK, Veith S, Tadokoro T, Shamanna RA, Mangerich A, Croteau DL, Bohr VA
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase 1 Modulates Interaction of the Nucleotide Excision Repair Factor XPC-RAD23B with DNA via Poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation.
- Authors: Maltseva EA, Rechkunova NI, Sukhanova MV, Lavrik OI
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 4
- Poly-ADP ribosylation in DNA damage response and cancer therapy.
- Authors: Hou WH, Chen SH, Yu X
- Issue date: 2019 Apr-Jun