Toxoflavins and Deazaflavins as the First Reported Selective Small Molecule Inhibitors of Tyrosyl-DNA Phosphodiesterase II.
Hamilton, Niall M
Hamilton, Nicola S
Hitchin, James R
Hopkins, Gemma V
Jordan, Allan M
Maguire, Laura A
McGonagle, Alison E
Mould, Daniel P
Small, Helen F
Smith, Kate M
Thomson, Graeme J
Waddell, Ian D
Watson, Amanda J
Ogilvie, Donald J
AffiliationCancer Research UK Drug Discovery Unit, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester , Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe recently discovered enzyme tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase 2 (TDP2) has been implicated in the topoisomerase-mediated repair of DNA damage. In the clinical setting, it has been hypothesized that TDP2 may mediate drug resistance to topoisomerase II (topo II) inhibition by etoposide. Therefore, selective pharmacological inhibition of TDP2 is proposed as a novel approach to overcome intrinsic or acquired resistance to topo II-targeted drug therapy. Following a high-throughput screening (HTS) campaign, toxoflavins and deazaflavins were identified as the first reported sub-micromolar and selective inhibitors of this enzyme. Toxoflavin derivatives appeared to exhibit a clear structure-activity relationship (SAR) for TDP2 enzymatic inhibition. However, we observed a key redox liability of this series, and this, alongside early in vitro drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics (DMPK) issues, precluded further exploration. The deazaflavins were developed from a singleton HTS hit. This series showed distinct SAR and did not display redox activity; however low cell permeability proved to be a challenge.
CitationToxoflavins and Deazaflavins as the First Reported Selective Small Molecule Inhibitors of Tyrosyl-DNA Phosphodiesterase II. 2013, 56 (16):6352-70 J Med Chem
JournalJournal of Medicinal Chemistry
- Isoquinoline-1,3-diones as Selective Inhibitors of Tyrosyl DNA Phosphodiesterase II (TDP2).
- Authors: Kankanala J, Marchand C, Abdelmalak M, Aihara H, Pommier Y, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 24
- New fluorescence-based high-throughput screening assay for small molecule inhibitors of tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase 2 (TDP2).
- Authors: Ribeiro CJA, Kankanala J, Shi K, Kurahashi K, Kiselev E, Ravji A, Pommier Y, Aihara H, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 15
- Generation of assays and antibodies to facilitate the study of human 5'-tyrosyl DNA phosphodiesterase.
- Authors: Thomson G, Watson A, Caldecott K, Denneny O, Depledge P, Hamilton N, Hopkins G, Jordan A, Morrow C, Raoof A, Waddell I, Ogilvie D
- Issue date: 2013 May 15
- Synthesis and structure-activity relationship of furoquinolinediones as inhibitors of Tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase 2 (TDP2).
- Authors: Yu LM, Hu Z, Chen Y, Ravji A, Lopez S, Plescia CB, Yu Q, Yang H, Abdelmalak M, Saha S, Agama K, Kiselev E, Marchand C, Pommier Y, An LK
- Issue date: 2018 May 10
- Mode of action of DNA-competitive small molecule inhibitors of tyrosyl DNA phosphodiesterase 2.
- Authors: Hornyak P, Askwith T, Walker S, Komulainen E, Paradowski M, Pennicott LE, Bartlett EJ, Brissett NC, Raoof A, Watson M, Jordan AM, Ogilvie DJ, Ward SE, Atack JR, Pearl LH, Caldecott KW, Oliver AW
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 1