Role of phosphatidylinositol 5-phosphate 4-kinase α in zebrafish development.
AffiliationDivision of Cell Biology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhosphatidylinositol 5-phosphate 4-kinases (PIP4Ks) phosphorylate phosphatidylinositol 5-phosphate (PI5P) to generate phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate; their most likely function is the regulation of the levels of PI5P, a putative signalling intermediate. There are three mammalian PIP4Ks isoforms (α, β and γ), but their physiological roles remain poorly understood. In the present study, we identified the zebrafish orthologue (zPIP4Kα) of the high-activity human PIP4K α isoform and analyzed its role in embryonic development. RT-PCR analysis and whole-mount in situ hybridization experiments showed that zPIP4Kα is maternally expressed. At later embryonic stages, high PIP4Kα expression was detected in the head and the pectoral fins. Knockdown of zPIP4Kα by antisense morpholino oligonucleotides led to severe morphological abnormalities, including midbody winding defects at 48hpf. The abnormal phenotype could be rescued, at least in large part, by injection of human PIP4Kα mRNA. Our results reveal a key role for PIP4Kα and its activity in vertebrate tissue homeostasis and organ development.
CitationRole of phosphatidylinositol 5-phosphate 4-kinase α in zebrafish development. 2013, 45 (7):1293-301 Int J Biochem Cell Biol
JournalInternational Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology
- CERKL knockdown causes retinal degeneration in zebrafish.
- Authors: Riera M, Burguera D, Garcia-Fernàndez J, Gonzàlez-Duarte R
- Issue date: 2013
- rbm47, a novel RNA binding protein, regulates zebrafish head development.
- Authors: Guan R, El-Rass S, Spillane D, Lam S, Wang Y, Wu J, Chen Z, Wang A, Jia Z, Keating A, Hu J, Wen XY
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Knockdown of two splice variants of Ca(2+)/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase Iδ causes developmental abnormalities in zebrafish, Danio rerio.
- Authors: Senga Y, Nagamine T, Kameshita I, Sueyoshi N
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 1
- Expression and possible functional roles of cytochromes P450 2J1 (zfCyp 2J1) in zebrafish.
- Authors: Wang L, Yao J, Chen L, Chen J, Xue J, Jia W
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 26
- Cloning, expression pattern and essentiality of the high-affinity copper transporter 1 (ctr1) gene in zebrafish.
- Authors: Mackenzie NC, Brito M, Reyes AE, Allende ML
- Issue date: 2004 Mar 17