An in vivo hypoxia metagene identifies the novel hypoxia inducible factor target gene SLCO1B3.
Betts, Guy N J
Moller-Levet, Carla S
Saunders, Emma K
Valentine, Helen R
Pepper, Stuart D
Miller, Crispin J
West, Catharine M L
AffiliationCancer Research UK Molecular Oncology Laboratories, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA hypoxia-associated gene signature (metagene) was previously derived via in vivo data-mining. In this study, we aimed to investigate whether this approach could identify novel hypoxia regulated genes. From an initial list of nine genes, three were selected for further study (BCAR1, IGF2BP2 and SLCO1B3). Ten cell lines were exposed to hypoxia and interrogated for the expression of the three genes. All three genes were hypoxia inducible in at least one of the 10 cell lines with SLCO1B3 induced in seven. SLCO1B3 was studied further using chromatin immunoprecipitation and luciferase assays to investigate hypoxia inducible factor (HIF) dependent transcription. Two functional HIF response elements were identified within intron 1 of the gene. The functional importance of SLCO1B3 was studied by gene knockdown experiments followed by cell growth assays, flow cytometry and Western blotting. SLCO1B3 knockdown reduced cell size and 3-dimensional spheroid volume, which was associated with decreased activation of the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway. Finally, Oncomine analysis revealed that head and neck and colorectal tumours had higher levels of SLCO1B3 compared to normal tissue. Thus, the knowledge based approach for deriving gene signatures can identify novel biologically relevant genes.
CitationAn in vivo hypoxia metagene identifies the novel hypoxia inducible factor target gene SLCO1B3. 2013, 49 (7):1741-51 Eur J Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Role of hypoxia inducible factor-1α in the regulation of the cancer-specific variant of organic anion transporting polypeptide 1B3 (OATP1B3), in colon and pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Han S, Kim K, Thakkar N, Kim D, Lee W
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 15
- Loss of SLCO1B3 drives taxane resistance in prostate cancer.
- Authors: de Morrée ES, Böttcher R, van Soest RJ, Aghai A, de Ridder CM, Gibson AA, Mathijssen RH, Burger H, Wiemer EA, Sparreboom A, de Wit R, van Weerden WM
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 6
- Apoptosis, necrosis and hypoxia inducible factor-1 in human head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cultures.
- Authors: Gross J, Fuchs J, Machulik A, Jahnke V, Kietzmann T, Bockmühl U
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- SLCO1B3 screening in colorectal cancer patients using High-Resolution Melting Analysis method and immunohistochemistry.
- Authors: Evangeli L, Ioannis S, Valentinos K, Antigony M, Elli I, Eleftheria H, Vasiliki G, Evangelos B
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Hypoxia-inducible mir-210 regulates normoxic gene expression involved in tumor initiation.
- Authors: Huang X, Ding L, Bennewith KL, Tong RT, Welford SM, Ang KK, Story M, Le QT, Giaccia AJ
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 24