An in vivo hypoxia metagene identifies the novel hypoxia inducible factor target gene SLCO1B3.
Betts, Guy N J
Moller-Levet, Carla S
Saunders, Emma K
Valentine, Helen R
Pepper, Stuart D
Miller, Crispin J
West, Catharine M L
AffiliationCancer Research UK Molecular Oncology Laboratories, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA hypoxia-associated gene signature (metagene) was previously derived via in vivo data-mining. In this study, we aimed to investigate whether this approach could identify novel hypoxia regulated genes. From an initial list of nine genes, three were selected for further study (BCAR1, IGF2BP2 and SLCO1B3). Ten cell lines were exposed to hypoxia and interrogated for the expression of the three genes. All three genes were hypoxia inducible in at least one of the 10 cell lines with SLCO1B3 induced in seven. SLCO1B3 was studied further using chromatin immunoprecipitation and luciferase assays to investigate hypoxia inducible factor (HIF) dependent transcription. Two functional HIF response elements were identified within intron 1 of the gene. The functional importance of SLCO1B3 was studied by gene knockdown experiments followed by cell growth assays, flow cytometry and Western blotting. SLCO1B3 knockdown reduced cell size and 3-dimensional spheroid volume, which was associated with decreased activation of the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway. Finally, Oncomine analysis revealed that head and neck and colorectal tumours had higher levels of SLCO1B3 compared to normal tissue. Thus, the knowledge based approach for deriving gene signatures can identify novel biologically relevant genes.
CitationAn in vivo hypoxia metagene identifies the novel hypoxia inducible factor target gene SLCO1B3. 2013, 49 (7):1741-51 Eur J Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- <i>SLCO1B3</i> promotes colorectal cancer tumorigenesis and metastasis through STAT3.
- Authors: Zhi L, Zhao L, Zhang X, Liu W, Gao B, Wang F, Wang X, Wang G
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 15
- Overexpression of OATP1B3 confers apoptotic resistance in colon cancer.
- Authors: Lee W, Belkhiri A, Lockhart AC, Merchant N, Glaeser H, Harris EI, Washington MK, Brunt EM, Zaika A, Kim RB, El-Rifai W
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 15
- Role of hypoxia inducible factor-1α in the regulation of the cancer-specific variant of organic anion transporting polypeptide 1B3 (OATP1B3), in colon and pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Han S, Kim K, Thakkar N, Kim D, Lee W
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 15
- Epigenetic regulation of organic anion transporting polypeptide 1B3 in cancer cell lines.
- Authors: Imai S, Kikuchi R, Tsuruya Y, Naoi S, Nishida S, Kusuhara H, Sugiyama Y
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- The design and optimization of RNA trans-splicing molecules for skin cancer therapy.
- Authors: Gruber C, Koller U, Murauer EM, Hainzl S, Hüttner C, Kocher T, South AP, Hintner H, Bauer JW
- Issue date: 2013 Dec