The recognition and removal of cellular poly(ADP-ribose) signals.
AffiliationCancer Research UK, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPoly(ADP-ribosyl)ation is involved in the regulation of a variety of cellular pathways, including, but not limited to, transcription, chromatin, DNA damage and other stress signalling. Similar to other tightly regulated post-translational modifications, poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation employs 'writers', 'readers' and 'erasers' to confer regulatory functions. The generation of poly(ADP-ribose) is catalyzed by poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase enzymes, which use NAD(+) as a cofactor to sequentially transfer ADP-ribose units generating long polymers, which, in turn, can affect protein function or serve as a recruitment platform for additional factors. Historically, research has focused on poly(ADP-ribose) generation pathways, with knowledge about PAR recognition and degradation lagging behind. Over recent years, several discoveries have significantly furthered our understanding of poly(ADP-ribose) recognition and, even more so, of poly(ADP-ribose) degradation. In this review, we summarize current knowledge about the protein modules recognizing poly(ADP-ribose) and discuss the newest developments on the complete reversibility of poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation.
CitationThe recognition and removal of cellular poly(ADP-ribose) signals. 2013: FEBS J
JournalThe FEBS Journal
- Functional Role of ADP-Ribosyl-Acceptor Hydrolase 3 in poly(ADP-Ribose) Polymerase-1 Response to Oxidative Stress.
- Authors: Mashimo M, Moss J
- Issue date: 2016
- Structural biology of the writers, readers, and erasers in mono- and poly(ADP-ribose) mediated signaling.
- Authors: Karlberg T, Langelier MF, Pascal JM, Schüler H
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Poly(ADP-ribose): PARadigms and PARadoxes.
- Authors: Bürkle A, Virág L
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- The structure and catalytic mechanism of a poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase.
- Authors: Slade D, Dunstan MS, Barkauskaite E, Weston R, Lafite P, Dixon N, Ahel M, Leys D, Ahel I
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 4
- Distribution of protein poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation systems across all domains of life.
- Authors: Perina D, Mikoč A, Ahel J, Ćetković H, Žaja R, Ahel I
- Issue date: 2014 Nov