The recognition and removal of cellular poly(ADP-ribose) signals.
AffiliationCancer Research UK, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPoly(ADP-ribosyl)ation is involved in the regulation of a variety of cellular pathways, including, but not limited to, transcription, chromatin, DNA damage and other stress signalling. Similar to other tightly regulated post-translational modifications, poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation employs 'writers', 'readers' and 'erasers' to confer regulatory functions. The generation of poly(ADP-ribose) is catalyzed by poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase enzymes, which use NAD(+) as a cofactor to sequentially transfer ADP-ribose units generating long polymers, which, in turn, can affect protein function or serve as a recruitment platform for additional factors. Historically, research has focused on poly(ADP-ribose) generation pathways, with knowledge about PAR recognition and degradation lagging behind. Over recent years, several discoveries have significantly furthered our understanding of poly(ADP-ribose) recognition and, even more so, of poly(ADP-ribose) degradation. In this review, we summarize current knowledge about the protein modules recognizing poly(ADP-ribose) and discuss the newest developments on the complete reversibility of poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation.
CitationThe recognition and removal of cellular poly(ADP-ribose) signals. 2013: FEBS J
JournalThe FEBS Journal
- Poly(ADP-ribose): PARadigms and PARadoxes.
- Authors: Bürkle A, Virág L
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Functional Role of ADP-Ribosyl-Acceptor Hydrolase 3 in poly(ADP-Ribose) Polymerase-1 Response to Oxidative Stress.
- Authors: Mashimo M, Moss J
- Issue date: 2016
- Importance of poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase in the control of poly(ADP-ribose) metabolism.
- Authors: Davidovic L, Vodenicharov M, Affar EB, Poirier GG
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 1
- The structure and catalytic mechanism of a poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase.
- Authors: Slade D, Dunstan MS, Barkauskaite E, Weston R, Lafite P, Dixon N, Ahel M, Leys D, Ahel I
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 4
- Poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation reactions in the regulation of nuclear functions.
- Authors: D'Amours D, Desnoyers S, D'Silva I, Poirier GG
- Issue date: 1999 Sep 1