Quantitative comparison of 3D and 2.5D gamma analysis: introducing gamma angle histograms.
AffiliationThe Centre for Imaging Sciences, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, Stopford Building, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractComparison of dose distributions using the 3D gamma method is anticipated to provide better indicators for the quality assurance process than the 2.5D (stacked 2D slice-by-slice) gamma calculation, especially for advanced radiotherapy technologies. This study compares the accuracy of the 3D and 2.5D gamma calculation methods. 3D and 2.5D gamma calculations were carried out on four reference/evaluation 3D dose sample pairs. A number of analysis methods were used, including average gamma and gamma volume histograms. We introduce the concept of gamma-angle histograms. Noise sensitivity tests were also performed using two different noise models. The advantage of the 3D gamma method showed up as a higher proportion of points passing the tolerance criteria of 3% dose difference and 3 mm distance-to-agreement (DTA), with considerably lower average gamma values, a lower influence of the DTA criterion, and a higher noise tolerance. The 3D gamma approach is more reliable than the 2.5D approach in terms of providing comprehensive quantitative results, which are needed in quality assurance procedures for advanced radiotherapy methods.
CitationQuantitative comparison of 3D and 2.5D gamma analysis: introducing gamma angle histograms. 2013, 58 (8):2597-608 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Gamma histograms for radiotherapy plan evaluation.
- Authors: Spezi E, Lewis DG
- Issue date: 2006 May
- 3D dose reconstruction for clinical evaluation of IMRT pretreatment verification with an EPID.
- Authors: van Zijtveld M, Dirkx ML, de Boer HC, Heijmen BJ
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Dosimetric verification of brain and head and neck intensity-modulated radiation therapy treatment using EDR2 films and 2D ion chamber array matrix.
- Authors: Varatharaj C, Ravikumar M, Sathiyan S, Supe SS, Vivek TR, Manikandan A
- Issue date: 2010 Apr-Jun
- An alternative to gamma histograms for ROI-based quantitative dose comparisons.
- Authors: Dvorak P
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 21
- Comparison of 2D and 3D gamma analyses.
- Authors: Pulliam KB, Huang JY, Howell RM, Followill D, Bosca R, O'Daniel J, Kry SF
- Issue date: 2014 Feb