AffiliationCancer Research UK Inositide Laboratory, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhosphoinositides represent a minor fraction of the total glycerolipids in cells. Despite the fact that phosphoinositides are present in small quantities, they have crucial roles during cell signaling and in regulating numerous intracellular processes. Measuring changes in the levels of different phosphoinositides in animals is difficult, but it is essential in order to define the important functions of specific members of the phosphoinositide family. Here we detail procedures for measuring phosphoinositides in 2-days-postfertilization (2-d.p.f.) embryos in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Both in vivo radiolabeling (using [(32)P]orthophosphate) followed by thin-layer or high-performance liquid chromatography (TLC or HPLC) analysis and specific in vitro phosphorylation assays (using [(32)P]γATP) permit the quantitative measurement of phosphoinositides. Normalization of both measurements can be achieved by the determination of total lipid phosphate in embryos. All the techniques described are relatively inexpensive and accessible to most laboratories with an interest in studying the effect of gene manipulation on phosphoinositide metabolism in zebrafish. All the procedures described herein will take up to 10 working days.
CitationMeasurement of phosphoinositides in the zebrafish Danio rerio. 2013, 8 (6):1058-72 Nat Protoc
- Simplified procedure for the quantitation of radioactive phosphoinositides by thin-layer chromatography.
- Authors: Crosby SD, Dale GL
- Issue date: 1985 Apr 26
- Analysis of phosphoinositides in protein trafficking.
- Authors: Hama H, Takemoto JY, DeWald DB
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Measurement and immunofluorescence of cellular phosphoinositides.
- Authors: Hama H, Torabinejad J, Prestwich GD, DeWald DB
- Issue date: 2004
- One-dimensional thin-layer chromatography of all known D-3 and D-4 isomers of phosphoinositides.
- Authors: Hegewald H
- Issue date: 1996 Nov 1
- Phosphoinositide and inositol phosphate analysis in lymphocyte activation.
- Authors: Sauer K, Huang YH, Lin H, Sandberg M, Mayr GW
- Issue date: 2009 Nov