Eukaryotic replisome components cooperate to process histones during chromosome replication.
De Piccoli, Giacomo
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDNA unwinding at eukaryotic replication forks displaces parental histones, which must be redeposited onto nascent DNA in order to preserve chromatin structure. By screening systematically for replisome components that pick up histones released from chromatin into a yeast cell extract, we found that the Mcm2 helicase subunit binds histones cooperatively with the FACT (facilitiates chromatin transcription) complex, which helps to re-establish chromatin during transcription. FACT does not associate with the Mcm2-7 helicase at replication origins during G1 phase but is subsequently incorporated into the replisome progression complex independently of histone binding and uniquely among histone chaperones. The amino terminal tail of Mcm2 binds histones via a conserved motif that is dispensable for DNA synthesis per se but helps preserve subtelomeric chromatin, retain the 2 micron minichromosome, and support growth in the absence of Ctf18-RFC. Our data indicate that the eukaryotic replication and transcription machineries use analogous assemblies of multiple chaperones to preserve chromatin integrity.
CitationEukaryotic replisome components cooperate to process histones during chromosome replication. 2013, 3 (3):892-904 Cell Rep
- Histone H2A-H2B binding by Pol α in the eukaryotic replisome contributes to the maintenance of repressive chromatin.
- Authors: Evrin C, Maman JD, Diamante A, Pellegrini L, Labib K
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 1
- The Ctf18 RFC-like complex positions yeast telomeres but does not specify their replication time.
- Authors: Hiraga S, Robertson ED, Donaldson AD
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 5
- Insight into the mechanism of nucleosome reorganization from histone mutants that suppress defects in the FACT histone chaperone.
- Authors: McCullough L, Rawlins R, Olsen A, Xin H, Stillman DJ, Formosa T
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Keys to open chromatin for transcription activation: FACT and Asf1.
- Authors: Krebs A, Tora L
- Issue date: 2009 May 14
- Structural Basis for the Recruitment of Ctf18-RFC to the Replisome.
- Authors: Grabarczyk DB, Silkenat S, Kisker C
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 2