The use of mass spectrometry to improve the diagnosis and the management of the HPA axis.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Biochemistry, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLiquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) is becoming a standard analytical tool in the clinical laboratory for the measurement of small molecules, including steroid hormones. Endocrinologists are coming to acknowledge the superior quality of measurement that is achievable by LC-MS/MS through the enhanced analytical specificity and high sensitivity that this technique offers over conventional immunoassay (IA) methodologies. Additionally, LC-MS/MS overcomes many of the problems encountered in immunoassays, such as anti-reagent antibody interferences and cross-reactivity with structurally related compounds. The potential benefits of applying LC-MS/MS for the assessment of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis are beginning to be realised. This review critically evaluates recent developments in the application of LC-MS/MS for measurement of glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids towards the diagnosis and management of HPA axis disorders and aims to address the current unmet need in this expanding field of endocrinology for which future studies into the potential applications of LC-MS/MS should be directed.
CitationThe use of mass spectrometry to improve the diagnosis and the management of the HPA axis. 2013: Rev Endocr Metab Disord
JournalReviews in Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders
- The coming of age of liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry in the endocrinology laboratory.
- Authors: Carvalho VM
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 1
- The art of measuring steroids: Principles and practice of current hormonal steroid analysis.
- Authors: Wudy SA, Schuler G, Sánchez-Guijo A, Hartmann MF
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Multiplexed steroid profiling of gluco- and mineralocorticoids pathways using a liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method.
- Authors: Travers S, Martinerie L, Bouvattier C, Boileau P, Lombès M, Pussard E
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Steroid measurement with LC-MS/MS. Application examples in pediatrics.
- Authors: Rauh M
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Principles and clinical applications of liquid chromatography - tandem mass spectrometry for the determination of adrenal and gonadal steroid hormones.
- Authors: Kulle AE, Welzel M, Holterhus PM, Riepe FG
- Issue date: 2011 Oct