Value of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in the follow up of head and neck cancer patients.
AuthorsJoseph, Lisa A
Routledge, Jacqueline A
Burns, Meriel P
Sykes, Andrew J
Slevin, Nicholas J
Davidson, Susan E
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Few studies have prospectively investigated psychological morbidity in UK head and neck cancer patients. This study aimed to explore changes in psychological symptoms over time, and associations with patients' tumour and treatment characteristics, including toxicity. Methods: Two hundred and twenty patients were recruited to complete the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and the Late Effects on Normal Tissue (Subjective, Objective, Management and Analytic) ('LENT-SOMA') questionnaires, both pre- and post-treatment. Results: Anxiety was highest pre-treatment (38 per cent) and depressive symptoms peaked at the end of treatment (44 per cent). Anxiety significantly decreased and depression significantly increased, comparing pre- versus post-treatment responses (p < 0.001). Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale scores were significantly correlated with toxicity, age and chemotherapy (p < 0.01 for all). Conclusion: This is the first study to analyse the relationship between Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale scores and toxicity scores in head and neck cancer patients. It lends support for the use of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and the Late Effects on Normal Tissue (Subjective, Objective, Management and Analytic) questionnaire in routine clinical practice; furthermore, continued surveillance is required at multiple measurement points.
CitationValue of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in the follow up of head and neck cancer patients. 2013:1-10 J Laryngol Otol
JournalJournal of Laryngology and Otology
- A longitudinal study of distress (depression and anxiety) up to 18 months after radiotherapy for head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Neilson K, Pollard A, Boonzaier A, Corry J, Castle D, Smith D, Trauer T, Couper J
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- A prospective multicentre study in Sweden and Norway of mental distress and psychiatric morbidity in head and neck cancer patients.
- Authors: Hammerlid E, Ahlner-Elmqvist M, Bjordal K, Biörklund A, Evensen J, Boysen M, Jannert M, Kaasa S, Sullivan M, Westin T
- Issue date: 1999 May
- First anxiety, afterwards depression: psychological distress in cancer patients at diagnosis and after medical treatment.
- Authors: Gil F, Costa G, Hilker I, Benito L
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Association between self-esteem and depression among patients with head and neck cancer: a pilot study.
- Authors: Kobayashi M, Sugimoto T, Matsuda A, Matsushima E, Kishimoto S
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Health-related quality of life in early breast cancer.
- Authors: Groenvold M
- Issue date: 2010 Sep