Removal of Centrosomal PP1 by NIMA Kinase Unlocks the MPF Feedback Loop to Promote Mitotic Commitment in S. pombe.
Chan, Kuan Yoow
Robertson, Alasdair M
Smith, Duncan L
Hagan, Iain M
AffiliationCRUK Cell Division Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractActivation of the Cdk1/cyclin B complex, also known as mitosis-promoting factor (MPF), drives commitment to mitosis. Interphase MPF is inhibited through phosphorylation of Cdk1 by Wee1-related kinases. Because Cdc25 phosphatases remove this phosphate, Cdc25 activity is an essential part of the switch that drives cells into mitosis. The generation of a critical "trigger" of active MPF promotes a positive feedback loop that employs Polo kinase to boost Cdc25 activity and inhibit Wee1, thereby ensuring that mitotic commitment is a bistable switch. Mutations in the spindle pole body (SPB) component Cut12 suppress otherwise lethal deficiencies in Cdc25.
CitationRemoval of Centrosomal PP1 by NIMA Kinase Unlocks the MPF Feedback Loop to Promote Mitotic Commitment in S. pombe. 2013, 23 (3):213-22 Curr Biol
- Physical and functional interactions between polo kinase and the spindle pole component Cut12 regulate mitotic commitment in S. pombe.
- Authors: MacIver FH, Tanaka K, Robertson AM, Hagan IM
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 15
- Schizosaccharomyces pombe NIMA-related kinase, Fin1, regulates spindle formation and an affinity of Polo for the SPB.
- Authors: Grallert A, Hagan IM
- Issue date: 2002 Jun 17
- The spindle pole body plays a key role in controlling mitotic commitment in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
- Authors: Hagan IM
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Polo kinase links the stress pathway to cell cycle control and tip growth in fission yeast.
- Authors: Petersen J, Hagan IM
- Issue date: 2005 May 26
- Suppression of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe cut12.1 cell-cycle defect by mutations in cdc25 and genes involved in transcriptional and translational control.
- Authors: Tallada VA, Bridge AJ, Emery PA, Hagan IM
- Issue date: 2007 May