Sensitisation of c-MYC-induced B-lymphoma cells to apoptosis by ATF2.
AffiliationDepartment of Cell Regulation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTranscription factors ATF2 (activating transcription factor 2) and ATF7 (activating transcription factor 7) are highly homologous members of the activator protein 1 (AP-1) family. Their activities are growth factor and stress stimulated and they strictly require phosphorylation by mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinases for their transcriptional functions. In samples of human B-cell lymphomas as well as Eμ-Myc-driven mouse B-cell lymphomas, we find that ATF2 as well as MAP kinase c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) are significantly up-regulated compared with normal human B-cell lines and mouse B cells, respectively. The B cell-specific deletion of ATF2 and ATF7 in mice results in significantly accelerated onset of Eμ-Myc-induced lymphoma. In addition, loss of ATF2/7 desensitises Eμ-Myc lymphoma cells to spontaneous as well as stress-induced apoptosis. Our results therefore suggest that c-MYC induces stress-mediated activation of ATF2 and ATF7 and that these transcription factors regulate apoptosis in response to oncogenic transformation of B cells.Oncogene advance online publication, 18 February 2013; doi:10.1038/onc.2013.28.
CitationSensitisation of c-MYC-induced B-lymphoma cells to apoptosis by ATF2. 2013: Oncogene
- The roles of ATF2 (activating transcription factor 2) in tumorigenesis.
- Authors: Gozdecka M, Breitwieser W
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Identification of a c-Jun N-terminal kinase-2-dependent signal amplification cascade that regulates c-Myc levels in ras transformation.
- Authors: Mathiasen DP, Egebjerg C, Andersen SH, Rafn B, Puustinen P, Khanna A, Daugaard M, Valo E, Tuomela S, Bøttzauw T, Nielsen CF, Willumsen BM, Hautaniemi S, Lahesmaa R, Westermarck J, Jäättelä M, Kallunki T
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 19
- A cytoplasmic negative regulator isoform of ATF7 impairs ATF7 and ATF2 phosphorylation and transcriptional activity.
- Authors: Diring J, Camuzeaux B, Donzeau M, Vigneron M, Rosa-Calatrava M, Kedinger C, Chatton B
- Issue date: 2011
- Transient receptor potential melastatin-3 (TRPM3)-induced activation of AP-1 requires Ca2+ ions and the transcription factors c-Jun, ATF2, and ternary complex factor.
- Authors: Lesch A, Hui X, Lipp P, Thiel G
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Feedback regulation of p38 activity via ATF2 is essential for survival of embryonic liver cells.
- Authors: Breitwieser W, Lyons S, Flenniken AM, Ashton G, Bruder G, Willington M, Lacaud G, Kouskoff V, Jones N
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 15