AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Biochemistry, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe application of mass spectrometry (MS) is a growing presence in the endocrine laboratory; an elegant analytical technique that discriminates and quantifies analytes by mass:charge (m:z) ratio, akin to a 'molecular sieve'. In contrast, the basic principle of immunoassay (IA) is founded on the molecular interaction between reagent antibody and antigen (analyte of interest). Driven largely by the limitations of conventional IA methodology, including the ever-present risk of interference from anti-reagent antibodies and endogenous autoantibodies, susceptibility to cross-reactivity with structurally-related compounds (e.g. prednisolone cross-reactivity in cortisol assay), and the high-dose hook effect; MS is now the method of choice for the routine measurement of steroid hormones. © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
CitationMass Spectrometry for the Endocrine Clinic - Much to Digest. 2012: Clin Endocrinol
- A novel mass spectrometry-based method for determining insulin-like growth factor 1: assessment in a cohort of subjects with newly diagnosed acromegaly.
- Authors: Kay R, Halsall DJ, Annamalai AK, Kandasamy N, Taylor K, Fenwick S, Webb A, Wark G, Pleasance S, Gurnell M
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Body mass index and insulin-like growth factor 1 as risk factors for discordant growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1 levels following pituitary surgery in acromegaly.
- Authors: Zhang S, Li Y, Guo X, Gao L, Lian W, Yao Y, Feng M, Bao X, Wang R, Xing B
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Normal insulin-like growth factor-I in an elderly woman with acromegaly and medical illness.
- Authors: Jaffe LS, Rosen HN
- Issue date: 1994 Jul 11
- Letter re: Monitoring the response to treatment in acromegaly.
- Authors: Ayuk J, Sheppard MC, Bates AS, Stewart PM
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Biochemical monitoring of disease activity after surgery for acromegaly.
- Authors: Shalet SM
- Issue date: 2004 Feb