The Implementation of the Gynaecological Groupe Européen de Curiethérapie - European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Radiobiology Considerations in the Conversion of Low Dose Rate to Pulsed Dose Rate Treatment Schedules for Gynaecological Brachytherapy.
AffiliationThe Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: This paper details the considerations and calculations made by this centre for the implementation of the biologically equivalent dose in 2 Gy fractions (EQD(2)) radiobiology calculations recommended by the Gynaecological Groupe Européen de Curiethérapie - European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, in converting our cervix, body of uterus and vaginal vault low dose rate (LDR) treatment prescription schedules for caesium-137 to equivalent pulsed dose rate (PDR) protocols using iridium-192. MATERIALS AND METHODS: The assumptions made in order to calculate the EQD(2) for both the LDR and the corresponding PDR schedules are detailed. The source geometries and prescription points are discussed for all standard treatment schedules. The prescription point for vaginal vault treatments has been altered to a 5 mm depth rather than the applicator surface, and the prescribed dose for all applicator sizes has been normalised at this depth. RESULTS: The calculated PDR schedules are presented, with corresponding target and organ at risk values given for LDR and PDR versions of standard treatment schedules. A standard 32.5 Gy point A cervix prescription used in Manchester with LDR has been converted to 2 × 19 Gy for PDR. CONCLUSIONS: PDR schedules have been calculated to correspond with our established LDR treatments in terms of EQD(2) dose to the target. There is a theoretical improvement in the therapeutic ratio due to a reduction in the calculated EQD(2) to organs at risk.
CitationThe Implementation of the Gynaecological Groupe Européen de Curiethérapie - European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Radiobiology Considerations in the Conversion of Low Dose Rate to Pulsed Dose Rate Treatment Schedules for Gynaecological Brachytherapy. 2012: Clin Oncol
- Pulsed dose rate and fractionated high dose rate brachytherapy: choice of brachytherapy schedules to replace low dose rate treatments.
- Authors: Visser AG, van den Aardweg GJ, Levendag PC
- Issue date: 1996 Jan 15
- Image and laparoscopic guided interstitial brachytherapy for locally advanced primary or recurrent gynaecological cancer using the adaptive GEC ESTRO target concept.
- Authors: Fokdal L, Tanderup K, Nielsen SK, Christensen HK, Røhl L, Pedersen EM, Schønemann NK, Lindegaard JC
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Treatment planning for MRI assisted brachytherapy of gynecologic malignancies based on total dose constraints.
- Authors: Lang S, Kirisits C, Dimopoulos J, Georg D, Pötter R
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 1
- Recommendations from gynaecological (GYN) GEC ESTRO working group (II): concepts and terms in 3D image-based treatment planning in cervix cancer brachytherapy-3D dose volume parameters and aspects of 3D image-based anatomy, radiation physics, radiobiology.
- Authors: Pötter R, Haie-Meder C, Van Limbergen E, Barillot I, De Brabandere M, Dimopoulos J, Dumas I, Erickson B, Lang S, Nulens A, Petrow P, Rownd J, Kirisits C, GEC ESTRO Working Group.
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for locally advanced carcinoma of the cervix. Part III: low-dose-rate and pulsed-dose-rate brachytherapy.
- Authors: Lee LJ, Das IJ, Higgins SA, Jhingran A, Small W Jr, Thomadsen B, Viswanathan AN, Wolfson A, Eifel P, American Brachytherapy Society.
- Issue date: 2012 Jan-Feb