Modelling the throughput capacity of a single-accelerator multitreatment room proton therapy centre.
AffiliationChristie Medical Physics and Engineering, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective We describe a model for evaluating the throughput capacity of a single-accelerator multitreatment room proton therapy centre with the aims of (1) providing quantitative estimates of the throughput and waiting times and (2) providing insight into the sensitivity of the system to various physical parameters. Methods A Monte Carlo approach was used to compute various statistics about the modelled centre, including the throughput capacity, fraction times for different groups of patients and beam waiting times. A method of quantifying the saturation level is also demonstrated. Results Benchmarking against the MD Anderson Cancer Center showed good agreement between the modelled (140±4 fractions per day) and reported (133±35 fractions per day) throughputs. A sensitivity analysis of that system studied the impact of beam switch time, the number of treatment rooms, patient set-up times and the potential benefit of having a second accelerator. Finally, scenarios relevant to a potential UK facility were studied, finding that a centre with the same four-room, single-accelerator configuration as the MD Anderson Cancer Center but handling a more complex UK-type caseload would have a throughput reduced by approximately 19%, but still be capable of treating in excess of 100 fractions per 16-h treatment day. Conclusions The model provides a useful tool to aid in understanding the operating dynamics of a proton therapy facility, and for investigating potential scenarios for prospective centres. Advances in knowledge The model helps to identify which technical specifications should be targeted for future improvements.
CitationModelling the throughput capacity of a single-accelerator multitreatment room proton therapy centre. 2012, 85 (1020):e1263-72 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- Retrospective analysis of reduced energy switching and room switching times on throughput efficiency of a multi-room proton therapy center.
- Authors: Mah D, Chen CC, Nawaz AO, Galbreath G, Shmulenson R, Lee N, Chon B
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Quantitative analysis of treatment process time and throughput capacity for spot scanning proton therapy.
- Authors: Suzuki K, Palmer MB, Sahoo N, Zhang X, Poenisch F, Mackin DS, Liu AY, Wu R, Zhu XR, Frank SJ, Gillin MT, Lee AK
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Verification of a Monte Carlo dose calculation engine in proton minibeam radiotherapy in a passive scattering beamline for preclinical trials.
- Authors: Guardiola C, De Marzi L, Prezado Y
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Reduce Patient Treatment wait time in a Proton Beam Facility - A Gatekeeper Approach.
- Authors: Huang YL, Deisher AJ, Herman MG, Kruse JJ, Mahajan A
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 13
- Benchmarking a GATE/Geant4 Monte Carlo model for proton beams in magnetic fields.
- Authors: Padilla-Cabal F, Alejandro Fragoso J, Franz Resch A, Georg D, Fuchs H
- Issue date: 2020 Jan