Landmarks in non-hormonal pharmacological therapies for castration-resistant prostate cancer.
AuthorsClarke, Noel W
AffiliationThe Christie and Salford Royal Hospitals, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe treatment of metastatic and castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) has advanced considerably from the era where it was considered that the disease was resistant to chemotherapy. Cytotoxic chemotherapy involving docetaxel is now used routinely as a first-line therapy after failed first- and second-line androgen deprivation in advanced disease, improving quality of life and to a limited extent, survival in patients with advanced prostate cancer. The cytotoxic taxane, cabazitaxel has also become a second-line treatment option for patients with CRPC failing previous docetaxel therapy. Additionally, a broad range of agents are now available or under development including immune-based therapies (cellular therapies and vaccines), bone-targeting agents (anti-osteolytic and anti-tumour therapies) and molecular-based agents targeting cellular control mechanisms. Most of these remain experimental but on-going pharmacological development will inevitably provide urologists and urological oncologists with a broader range of therapeutic options for better cancer management in the future.
CitationLandmarks in non-hormonal pharmacological therapies for castration-resistant prostate cancer. 2012, 110 Suppl 1:14-22 BJU Int
- Cabazitaxel for the treatment of prostate cancer.
- Authors: Michielsen DP, Braeckman JG, Denis L
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Emerging and second line therapies for the management of metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: the Australian perspective.
- Authors: Parente P, Parnis F, Gurney H
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Prostate-specific antigen response to deferred combined androgen blockade therapy using bicalutamide predicts survival after subsequent oestrogen and docetaxel therapies in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Kijima T, Fujii Y, Yokoyama M, Ishioka J, Matsuoka Y, Numao N, Saito K, Koga F, Masuda H, Kawakami S, Kihara K
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Management of metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer after first-line docetaxel.
- Authors: Harrington JA, Jones RJ
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- New and emerging agents for the treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Higano CS, Crawford ED
- Issue date: 2011 Nov-Dec