β2-syntrophin and Par-3 promote an apicobasal Rac activity gradient at cell-cell junctions by differentially regulating Tiam1 activity.
AuthorsMack, Natalie A
Porter, Andrew P
Whalley, Helen J
AffiliationCell Signalling Group, Cancer Research UK Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, The University of Manchester, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough Rac and its activator Tiam1 are known to stimulate cell-cell adhesion, the mechanisms regulating their activity in cell-cell junction formation are poorly understood. Here, we identify β2-syntrophin as a Tiam1 interactor required for optimal cell-cell adhesion. We show that during tight-junction (TJ) assembly β2-syntrophin promotes Tiam1-Rac activity, in contrast to the function of the apical determinant Par-3 whose inhibition of Tiam1-Rac activity is necessary for TJ assembly. We further demonstrate that β2-syntrophin localizes more basally than Par-3 at cell-cell junctions, thus generating an apicobasal Rac activity gradient at developing cell-cell junctions. Targeting active Rac to TJs shows that this gradient is required for optimal TJ assembly and apical lumen formation. Consistently, β2-syntrophin depletion perturbs Tiam1 and Rac localization at cell-cell junctions and causes defects in apical lumen formation. We conclude that β2-syntrophin and Par-3 fine-tune Rac activity along cell-cell junctions controlling TJ assembly and the establishment of apicobasal polarity.
Citationβ2-syntrophin and Par-3 promote an apicobasal Rac activity gradient at cell-cell junctions by differentially regulating Tiam1 activity. 2012, 14 (11):1169-80 Nat Cell Biol
JournalNature Cell Biology
- The Rac activator Tiam1 controls tight junction biogenesis in keratinocytes through binding to and activation of the Par polarity complex.
- Authors: Mertens AE, Rygiel TP, Olivo C, van der Kammen R, Collard JG
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 26
- The interdependence of the Rho GTPases and apicobasal cell polarity.
- Authors: Mack NA, Georgiou M
- Issue date: 2014
- Par-3 controls tight junction assembly through the Rac exchange factor Tiam1.
- Authors: Chen X, Macara IG
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- PAR-6-PAR-3 mediates Cdc42-induced Rac activation through the Rac GEFs STEF/Tiam1.
- Authors: Nishimura T, Yamaguchi T, Kato K, Yoshizawa M, Nabeshima Y, Ohno S, Hoshino M, Kaibuchi K
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Constitutive activation of Rho proteins by CNF-1 influences tight junction structure and epithelial barrier function.
- Authors: Hopkins AM, Walsh SV, Verkade P, Boquet P, Nusrat A
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 15