Smith, Duncan L
AffiliationThe ChELSI Institute, Chemical and Biological Engineering, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe iTRAQ (isobaric tags for relative and absolute quantification) technique is widely employed in proteomic workflows requiring relative quantification. Here, we review the iTRAQ literature; in particular, we focus on iTRAQ usage in relation to other commonly used quantitative techniques e.g. stable isotope labelling in culture (SILAC), label-free methods and selected reaction monitoring (SRM). As a result, we identify several issues arising with respect to iTRAQ. Perhaps frustratingly, iTRAQ's attractiveness has been undermined by a number of technical and analytical limitations: it may not be truly quantitative, as the changes in abundance reported will generally be underestimated. We discuss weaknesses and strengths of iTRAQ as a methodology for relative quantification in the light of this and other technical issues. We focus on technical developments targeted at iTRAQ accuracy and precision, use of 4-plex over 8-plex reagents and application of iTRAQ to post-translational modification (PTM) workflows. We also discuss iTRAQ in relation to label-free approaches, to which iTRAQ is losing ground.
CitationAn insight into iTRAQ: where do we stand now? 2012, 404 (4):1011-27 Anal Bioanal Chem
JournalAnalytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry
- Isobaric labeling-based relative quantification in shotgun proteomics.
- Authors: Rauniyar N, Yates JR 3rd
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 5
- Stable isotope labelling methods in mass spectrometry-based quantitative proteomics.
- Authors: Chahrour O, Cobice D, Malone J
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 10
- Isobaric tagging approaches in quantitative proteomics: the ups and downs.
- Authors: Christoforou AL, Lilley KS
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- High precision quantitative proteomics using iTRAQ on an LTQ Orbitrap: a new mass spectrometric method combining the benefits of all.
- Authors: Köcher T, Pichler P, Schutzbier M, Stingl C, Kaul A, Teucher N, Hasenfuss G, Penninger JM, Mechtler K
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Benchmarking stable isotope labeling based quantitative proteomics.
- Authors: Altelaar AF, Frese CK, Preisinger C, Hennrich ML, Schram AW, Timmers HT, Heck AJ, Mohammed S
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 2