Aflibercept and Docetaxel versus Docetaxel alone after platinum failure in patients with advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomized, controlled phase III trial.
AffiliationWielkopolskie Centrum Pulmonologii i Torakochirurgii, Poznań University of Medical Sciences, Augustyna Szamarzewskiego 62, 61-001 Poznań, Poland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE To compare the efficacy of aflibercept (ziv-aflibercept), a recombinant human fusion protein targeting the vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) pathway, with or without docetaxel in platinum-pretreated patients with advanced or metastatic nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer. PATIENTS AND METHODS In this international, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III trial, 913 patients were randomly assigned to (ziv-)aflibercept 6 mg/kg intravenous (IV; n = 456) or IV placebo (n = 457), both administered every 3 weeks and in combination with docetaxel 75 mg/m(2). The primary end point was overall survival (OS). Other efficacy outcomes, safety, and immunogenicity were also assessed. Results Patient characteristics were balanced between arms; 12.3% of patients had received prior bevacizumab. (Ziv-)Aflibercept did not improve OS (hazard ratio [HR], 1.01; 95% CI, 0.87 to 1.17; stratified log-rank P = .90). The median OS was 10.1 months (95% CI, 9.2 to 11.6 months) for (ziv-)aflibercept and 10.4 months (95% CI, 9.2 to 11.9 months) for placebo. In exploratory analyses, median progression-free survival was 5.2 months (95% CI, 4.4 to 5.6 months) for (ziv-)aflibercept versus 4.1 months (95% CI, 3.5 to 4.3 months) for placebo (HR, 0.82; 95% CI, 0.72 to 0.94; P = .0035); overall response rate was 23.3% of evaluable patients (95% CI, 19.1% to 27.4%) in the (ziv-)aflibercept arm versus 8.9% (95% CI, 6.1% to 11.6%; P < .001) in the placebo arm. Grade ≥ 3 adverse events occurring more frequently in the (ziv-)aflibercept arm versus the placebo arm were neutropenia (28.0% v 21.1%, respectively), fatigue (11.1% v 4.2%, respectively), stomatitis (8.8% v 0.7%, respectively), and hypertension (7.3% v 0.9%, respectively). CONCLUSION The addition of (ziv-)aflibercept to standard docetaxel therapy did not improve OS. In exploratory analyses, secondary efficacy end points did seem to be improved in the (ziv-)aflibercept arm. The study regimen was associated with increased toxicities, consistent with known anti-VEGF and chemotherapy-induced events.
CitationAflibercept and Docetaxel versus Docetaxel alone after platinum failure in patients with advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomized, controlled phase III trial. 2012, 30 (29):3640-7 J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Randomized phase III placebo-controlled trial of carboplatin and paclitaxel with or without the vascular disrupting agent vadimezan (ASA404) in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Lara PN Jr, Douillard JY, Nakagawa K, von Pawel J, McKeage MJ, Albert I, Losonczy G, Reck M, Heo DS, Fan X, Fandi A, Scagliotti G
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 1
- Cediranib with mFOLFOX6 versus bevacizumab with mFOLFOX6 as first-line treatment for patients with advanced colorectal cancer: a double-blind, randomized phase III study (HORIZON III).
- Authors: Schmoll HJ, Cunningham D, Sobrero A, Karapetis CS, Rougier P, Koski SL, Kocakova I, Bondarenko I, Bodoky G, Mainwaring P, Salazar R, Barker P, Mookerjee B, Robertson J, Van Cutsem E
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 10
- Phase III, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of gemcitabine/cisplatin alone or with sorafenib for the first-line treatment of advanced, nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Paz-Ares LG, Biesma B, Heigener D, von Pawel J, Eisen T, Bennouna J, Zhang L, Liao M, Sun Y, Gans S, Syrigos K, Le Marie E, Gottfried M, Vansteenkiste J, Alberola V, Strauss UP, Montegriffo E, Ong TJ, Santoro A, NSCLC [non–small-cell lung cancer] Research Experience Utilizing Sorafenib (NExUS) Investigators Study Group.
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 1
- Aflibercept versus placebo in combination with docetaxel and prednisone for treatment of men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (VENICE): a phase 3, double-blind randomised trial.
- Authors: Tannock IF, Fizazi K, Ivanov S, Karlsson CT, Fléchon A, Skoneczna I, Orlandi F, Gravis G, Matveev V, Bavbek S, Gil T, Viana L, Arén O, Karyakin O, Elliott T, Birtle A, Magherini E, Hatteville L, Petrylak D, Tombal B, Rosenthal M, VENICE investigators.
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Phase III trial comparing vinflunine with docetaxel in second-line advanced non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-containing chemotherapy.
- Authors: Krzakowski M, Ramlau R, Jassem J, Szczesna A, Zatloukal P, Von Pawel J, Sun X, Bennouna J, Santoro A, Biesma B, Delgado FM, Salhi Y, Vaissiere N, Hansen O, Tan EH, Quoix E, Garrido P, Douillard JY
- Issue date: 2010 May 1