AffiliationThe University of Manchester, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Cancer Research UK Leukaemia Biology Laboratory , Manchester, M20 4BX , UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: The role of epigenetic dysfunction in cancer is increasingly appreciated. This has raised the question as to whether enzymes that regulate the structure and function of chromatin might represent novel therapeutic targets. The histone demethylase LSD1 is one such candidate and novel, potent inhibitors are under development. Areas covered: The literature on LSD1 (also known as KDM1A, AOF2, BHC110 or KIAA0601) was identified in Pubmed and is herein discussed. Areas covered include the structure and enzymatic activity of LSD1, its role in chromatin regulatory complexes, its functional roles in normal and malignant tissue, pharmacological inhibitors of its activity and their putative therapeutic roles. Expert opinion: Pre-clinical data supporting a therapeutic role for LSD1 inhibitors are most encouraging in acute myeloid leukaemia, although optimal dosing strategies and beneficial combinations with other agents remain unclear. Studies making use of potent, selective LSD1 inhibitors active in the nanomolar range are required to establish therapeutic indications in other subtypes of haematological malignancy, and in solid tumours.
CitationLSD1 inhibition: a therapeutic strategy in cancer? 2012, 16 (12):1239-49 Expert Opin Ther Targets
JournalExpert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets
- LSD1: biologic roles and therapeutic targeting.
- Authors: Maiques-Diaz A, Somervaille TC
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- A comprehensive review of lysine-specific demethylase 1 and its roles in cancer.
- Authors: Hosseini A, Minucci S
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Inhibitors of LSD1 as a potential therapy for acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Przespolewski A, Wang ES
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Biochemical, structural, and biological evaluation of tranylcypromine derivatives as inhibitors of histone demethylases LSD1 and LSD2.
- Authors: Binda C, Valente S, Romanenghi M, Pilotto S, Cirilli R, Karytinos A, Ciossani G, Botrugno OA, Forneris F, Tardugno M, Edmondson DE, Minucci S, Mattevi A, Mai A
- Issue date: 2010 May 19
- Annual review of LSD1/KDM1A inhibitors in 2020.
- Authors: Fu DJ, Li J, Yu B
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 15